Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    flower #76805 05/25/10 12:10 AM
    M
    M

matmum #76855 05/25/10 04:36 PM
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I looked at that site and my jaw is still on the ground and my stomach is noodles.... That is just the bare minimum though right?

flower #76874 05/25/10 08:40 PM
    M
    M
    I would imagine that is what they would deem *normal* developmental milestones. Allowing for variations within that range you should have some idea of would be considered a large vocabulary.

matmum #76888 05/26/10 12:41 AM
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    What does the HTH stand for in your first post with the site in it? I went back and looked at that site again..... it does say "typical" development..... I have read some of those numbers before and just thought they really meant just bare minimums..... I have not seen the list so descriptive i.e. past tense etc. thanks again.

flower #76892 05/26/10 01:40 AM
    M
    M
    HTH = Hope That Helps.

matmum #77001 05/27/10 10:45 AM
    My DS (now almost 3) was similar at that age - big vocabulary (300+ words at 18 months) but sloppy articulation. We noticed a dramatic, dramatic change when he moved 'up' from the 0-18 month room at daycare to the 19-30 month one; I think it was the change between the baby room where most of the kids only spoke a few words if at all, versus the toddler room where the 2.5 year olds were at least closer to his (1.5yo) verbal ability, so he could talk to the other kids.

So, if I were to suggest anything, I'd say give her lots of opportunities to talk to other children (at her verbal level, not necessarily her age level).

flower #77049 05/27/10 11:34 PM
    L
    L
    I also have a DS26 months who has a hard time pronouncing certain sounds and thus it is hard to understand him. He is likely to start speech therapy in a few months. It does not really appear to be a hearing related issue but we have not done all the tests yet. We predict it has something to do with him being brought up trilingually. In my search to help him I have come across this CD which has the 'typical' kids songs but on a much slower pace. 'Time to Sing' http://www.amazon.com/Time-Sing-Center-Creative-Play/dp/B0000DEOJ2 We have not listened to it a lot yet (we really should) but I feel he picked up some of the words quicker than in a 'normal pace' CD.
    Our DSnearly5 has started talking really early so dealing with DS26 months speech issues has been quite challenging. And as people mentioned I have also started to learn to 'translate' his speech - if he says 'g' it could also mean 'd' etc..
    I am glad to hear that time will eventually help to overcome some / most of the issues.

Licorice26 #77051 05/28/10 12:17 AM
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    These are all really great to hear! One of the things I worry about is that my DD20 months does not combine words that much. She does two word combos occasionally three and once in a while four. It seems with the large vocab. that she would combine more and I am not sure if that means there is something wrong. I know for her age she is fine but it seems that the large vocab. would almost force one to combine more.... I wonder if it is the articualtion issues and my not being able to understand her. I also wonder if it is that I usually know what she wants prior to her having to say to much and she has gotten use to me "intuiting" what she wants. In other words she can point and get what she wants. Plus she has been using vocalization intonations like grunts, that vary in pitch etc. to tell me what she wants from a really small being. I am not that auditory myself and it took me awhile to distinguish the different pitches and what they meant. Anyone else have a large vocab and not so many combos? I am really glad that you are out there!

flower #77064 05/28/10 05:26 AM
    Don't pressure her. For gifties, the charts don't matter. She may go from three words to full sentences in one week. I worried about my daughter's stuttering and the best advice I got was to just listen to her and let her talk.

If you speak correctly, your child will mimic you. I am sure that more is going on in her brain than she is saying. My daughter is twelve and still says this. Writing has been great for her, but her mind is still too fast for her.

In fourth grade, I was still worried about her "slow" reading. She was reading books way ahead of her grade level, but was on grade level for fluency. Her teacher read plays with her and had her tape herself reading. It turned out that she would get stuck on how to pronounce a word and completely stop. This is the perfectionist in her. Most of the words were Proper Nouns - usually odd names. Her teacher gave her permission to know the word and go on with the reading. This is something we do naturally, but she needed permission (and not from me).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM