Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76979 05/27/10 02:41 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I just bought tickets to go to Egypt next April, DD's request.

We did southern Europe this past April, and there was truly a Roman theme with ruins in all 5 countries and it was cool that there was this new museum, across from the Colliseum, great interactive thing with kids and a movie about Roman times.

I was thinking it could work as a unit study. We did south Yucatan and Central American a year ago Feb and there was a whole Mayan thing. This past Feb we went to Hawaii and spent a day at the volcano national park, but several days did nature things, like go down in a sub to a coral reef, snorkeling, and whale watching. Sighting turtles and exploring tidal pools.

Anyone else did travel like that? Any good ideas?

Ren

Wren #76982 05/27/10 03:35 AM
    Yes, I bought travel by the book and there is another one for Britain.

We did the Laura Ingalls Wilder trip after third grade - since that is about the age of interest. It was incredible and we all loved the books and characters.

My daughter received many Junior Ranger patches from many National Parks and we had so much fun with them.

My daughter really does not like social studies unless she is traveling. We have explored quite a bit of Canada - we love it there.

Sounds wonderful and your child will benefit.

Ellipses #76986 05/27/10 05:19 AM
    J
    J
    Can you fit me in your suitcase? wink

JJsMom #77164 05/30/10 07:16 PM
    C
    C
    We did an East African safari to coincide with the Great Migration. The boys were 8 and 6 and loved every minute. They learned so much from our driver -- safari drivers are the ultimate naturalists! Luckily they are both book lovers, so the flights weren't bad at all. Highly recommend it for kids into animals (tho it is very pricey).

cookiemom #77205 05/31/10 04:50 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    That sounds great cookiemom. What time of year did you do it? Where in East Africa? DH had done a doctor's stint in Kenya, doing kids' operations and wants to go somewhere there.

BTW JJsMom, I pay for everything with American Express, even if I buy a couple of pounds of bananas. I just paid for the Egypt airfare with points. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Ren

Wren #77351 06/02/10 07:42 PM
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I just bought tickets to go to Egypt next April, DD's request.

We did southern Europe this past April, and there was truly a Roman theme with ruins in all 5 countries and it was cool that there was this new museum, across from the Colliseum, great interactive thing with kids and a movie about Roman times.

I was thinking it could work as a unit study. We did south Yucatan and Central American a year ago Feb and there was a whole Mayan thing. This past Feb we went to Hawaii and spent a day at the volcano national park, but several days did nature things, like go down in a sub to a coral reef, snorkeling, and whale watching. Sighting turtles and exploring tidal pools.

Anyone else did travel like that? Any good ideas?

Ren
    I also think so.

Helen K #77424 06/03/10 07:49 PM
    C
    C
    We went to Tanzania in late March/early April. The timing was perfect. All the animals had just given birth.

cookiemom #77828 06/09/10 04:51 PM
    We went on a safari in Tanzania as well, around the same time cookiemom, but it was pre-kids. wink
    We had a great time, the company we (DH and I) went with plans your safari for you, based on what you want to see and how expensive you want it to be. The best part was that if there was noone else interested in the same things at the same time, you go by yourself! So, we ended up with a private safari to the Ngoro Ngoro crater and the Serengeti with a driver and a cook. grin It was fabulous - we could stop where ever and when ever we wanted, we saw a new born wildebeast take its first steps and a ton of other new born animals the whole time. Our driver was so knowledgable and loved that we asked a bunch of questions.
    I would think it would be easy to do a unit on that area, especially if you add in the Olduvai Gorge and the work of Louis and Mary Leakey.
    Have a great time planning and going - I'm hoping to do something similar with the family in a few years when DD2 is older.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent