Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76829 05/25/10 08:59 AM
    S
    sh22 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hiya - I've been lurking for a long time, and you folks seem the experts on weird test scores!

DS (7) is a research subject (control)for a reading study, and has an odd assortment of W-J subtests, with scores all over the place. I have raw scores and %, but no grouped scores.

Word id: 53/94%
    Reading fluency: 55/99.6%
    Calculation: 13/83%
    Math fluency:35/58%
    Spelling:22/43%
    Passage comp:36/99%
    Applied problems:30/86%
    Word attack:21/83%
    Story recall:99.8% (ss 144)
    Understanding directions: 67% (ss 106)
    Picture vocab: 28/97%
    Oral comp: 26/99.6%

Additionally,

Picture Peabody vocab: 150/99%
    Gray Oral reading: 73% (ss 107)
    Towre sight words: 48/61%
    Towre decoding: 24/64%
    CTOPP scores 16-25% for all subtests.

So - what do you think is going on? Is "story recall" an actual skill? How is he reading if he doesn't understand phonetics? Is he perhaps stealth dyslexic or just not interested in letter sounds? Can I "officially" claim that he is gifted in reading according to these scores?

many thanks for your help,

Susan

J
    J
    My older son is a little bit like that - he consistently scores low on things with names like pseudo-decoding, decoding, phonetics, and spelling.

Doesn't write very well either, but can articulate sophisticated thoughts.

But his reading very good. Last weekend he read over 90% of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in about 2 hours (he had just a little bit left). A translation, but not an abridged version. The volume of material he reads is amazing to me. His recall is excellent and he makes good connections between different sources.

So he is definitely reading even though he can't spell or sound out words (very well).

My DS11 has scores a bit like that. Story recall was at GE13+ and when he reads longer passages and books he has excellent recall and makes sophisticated connections between concepts and remembers details that I don't even notice. In reading comprehension he always scores several grade levels up. However, he reads much better to himself than aloud (not particularly uncommon) and has more difficulty with comprehending shorter passages. When reading aloud he often skips or misreads the little words like "the," "not," "when," "then," etc. while still being able to read much more difficult words. He can memorize spelling lists but is not a good speller otherwise. He's not a great writer either, but if you ask him what he's thinking he has complex, sophisticated ideas. He has a huge vocabulary but doesn't always use it on his own to express himself. Personally, I've always kinda thought he is stealth dyslexic, but we have nothing to prove it other than anecdotal evidence.

Hopefully someone with testing expertise will jump in here to help you specifically with your DS's scores! Glad you delurked!

She thought she could, so she did.
    S
    sh22 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    He self-taught by 4; read proficiently almost immediately.

He currently spends at least 6 hrs a day reading - favorite topic is WWII aircraft (adult non-fiction books) - and since he tells me things that I never knew about aircraft and/or WWII, I guess his comprehension is okay. Resists writing but can dictate elaborate stories or factual information. Can spell long words like "yesterday" but can't figure out "air" or "girl" or "soup". Frequently mispronounces words that he has gained from reading, not hearing.

????

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM