Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    it looks like very few are actually using the services of DYS program
    since the application is free and services are free, why not apply and see

another question- do they provide financial help, particularly for free / reduced lunch income groups??

N
    N
    I don't think it's accurate to say that "very few are actually using the services of the DYS program..."

While not everyone needs to use their advocacy services, it seems to me that A LOT of people are making use of the DYS community in other ways--the network of parents, the great seminars for both kids and parents, etc...

C
    C
    Well very few are using the DYS services because very few will qualify! But before my DS was a DYS, I used their website, articles, research, forum and data to advocate at school and to work on appropriate placement for my son. Those services were invaluable!

S
    S
    I would imagine that most people that apply to DYS have a plan to use their services. I am not sure why anyone would apply otherwise. It certainly isn't about prestige and being able to tell people your child is a YS or anything (I personally do not advertise this at all with others) It is more about getting the support and resources you need and about knowing that you will have that support for your child as they continue to grow and things change through the years. I know my DS5 is going to have a rough road ahead and for us that support is invaluable. And I agree, I used this forum, articles, and lots of other resources from the Davidsons before I had applied for DYS for DS5.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by yannam
    it looks like very few are actually using the services of DYS program
    since the application is free and services are free, why not apply and see

another question- do they provide financial help, particularly for free / reduced lunch income groups??

I heard several people were saying they use some aspect of services. Our family has benefited from getting to know other families through the network. We've learned a great deal from online seminars open to DYS parents and kids. We have made limited use of our family consultant but I'm glad to know that resources is there is we ever need to. Our child has also received some financial assistance for expenses like tuition and lessons to develop his talents. We are middle income - certainly not eligible for free lunch, but definitely found we were facing unusual educational expenses with a profoundly gifted child.

I agree. Advocacy help is one service available, and it's often the reason people apply to DYS in the first place. But advocacy help tends to be something that you need sporadically, or you need *right now* when you need it, so we get it lined up before we need it.

I haven't used the advocacy services, but I consult with our family consultant regularly to discuss our plan for DS8's education.

We just got back from a get-together with a number of DYS families. It was educational for the kids, social for both parents and kids, and informational for parents considering possibilities for early college maybe down the line. Without DYS, we wouldn't have had such a great experience.

We have used the online seminars and have enjoyed them.

We have good friends we met and stay connected to because of the experiences we have had through DYS.

Not using the services? I use them virtually every day! I just don't use all of them every day.

And the peace of mind I get from knowing that we have advocacy help on-tap if we need it? As the commercial says: PRICELESS!

Kriston
    I agree with what has been said.

Being in the DYS program also is a reminder to me (a non-gifted adoptive parent) that my child does indeed have unique needs. It helps me to not go into "gifted denial" and start second-guessing my decisions for him.

DYS is my strong arm of affirmation, especially when my friends just don't understand why programs like IEW worked for their children, but (for reasons I still can't put my finger on,) was a failure for my rapid learner.

just some thoughts.

Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    is there any undue dis-advantage of being minority and low income groups in selection for DYS
    second question- is it worth spending money for tests listed in IQ category (my DD has a eligible test in ability and but > 99.9 %tle score in IQ test (not listed in the list of eligible test for DYS)
    any research on long term problems of grade skipping?? I know it is great to go to college early, but any research on these kids performed better than their less gifted kids ?
    apologies for being pessimistic........the problem is negative aspects of this gifted education rarely become come to limelight

Last edited by yannam; 05/22/10 12:56 AM.
    C
    C
    I know personally of at least one family that has used a non-listed IQ test with listed achievement testing to be qualified and accepted to DYS. So it may be worth submitting anyway with what you have.

If you read Nation Deceived and the Templeton report, you'll discover that while there are minor complaints in the long run about grade skipping, all the research supports that acceleration has more long term positives than negatives.

I greatly appreciate the networking on the DYS Parenting and Classroom forums. I have learned about so many opportunities in my home state that I never knew existed. And I am very thankful to be able to compare notes, so to speak, about the issues of raising DYS kids and all the sorts of idiosyncrasies that we have to deal with. There isn't ANYONE else I know of who could provide that kind of insight like another DYS parent can.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM