Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76602 05/21/10 06:06 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    My 5 yr old was given the CogAT test at school. Can I use his scores to apply for Davidson Young Scholars?

Dottie #76609 05/21/10 07:33 PM
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Can you get the school to do achievement testing? I would be surprised if he did not have qualifying scores in at least reading (recognize your name from another board). Did the school do IQ test? Could they do?

Mam #76611 05/21/10 07:48 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I might be able to get them to do testing at the end of next year, but he was just given the CogAT at the end of this school year. He scored in the 84th percentile in verbal (kind of surprised at that), 99th percentile in non-verbal and 99th percentile in quantitative. He qualified for the schools gifted program so he gets an ILP next year.
    I can't afford to get outside testing done.

Dottie #76655 05/22/10 09:59 AM
    Q
    Q
    I highly doubt they would take just Cogat. There is still a fairly large difference between an IQ test and CoGat. Cogat will not tell you anything about the child's actual IQ level. The best it indicates is that if your child has high scores, it is a safe bet the child is gifted at some level.

Does Davidson still do a portfolio acceptance?
    If so, you might be able to try that.

On the verbal...the question I would ask your son is if they read the questions to him, or had him read the questions. They often do read the questions out loud at the very early grades.

Kids that are not as strong with their audio skills I expect would actually have depressed verbal scores. I saw this with my kids. One child told me she had one wrong, because she thought the person said penguin and she put pencil. It isn't that she didn't know the answers, but that she misunderstood what was said.

quaz #76661 05/22/10 12:29 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Dottie- I tried to ask if there were actual 'scores' like that but she said there really wasn't...I'll ask again and reword my question.

quaz-the teacher read the questions. I'm positive that if he was able to read the questions, he would have done a lot better on the verbal.

I think they do still do the portfolio for those who can't afford the tests, but I would have no idea what to include in it. He was rarely given the chance to do anything other than kindergarten or first grade work in school.

I may just wait until next year's test...but I think they do the CogAT then, too. Maybe I'll just start saving up for it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations