Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 247 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76425 05/19/10 07:20 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi,

I was wondering if one of you testing gurus (Dottie?) could explain something to me about the SCAT. We got DS8's scores today and he did pretty well: 453 Verbal and 435 Math. It gives percentiles against 4th graders since DS is in 2nd grade.

My question is how to define a "normative population of 4th graders." Does it mean they gave the SCAT to a regular population of kids to define norms, or is it based on a population of kids who had to qualify to take the test like DS did? I'm would imagine it's regular population, but am curious.

Thanks!

I had a similar question when our DS7 received his scores. Does a "normal" population mean an IQ 100? Or does it mean a random sampling? Or not under the gifted labeling?

Thanks Dottie! That is exactly what I've been wondering for the last month or so. We spent a few hours trying to decipher the graphs that were in the packet! Fun with statistics!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the info, Dottie! I actually had a good time looking at those bar charts CTY sent with the SCAT results. It's been a long time since I took statistics in college, and for some reason the consistency with which the data fell into a bell curve distribution (particularly with larger groups) struck me as an interesting point to ponder, just relative to people in general. And in the couple of cases where the results didn't fall into that distribution, it is making me think what that might mean, too.

Don't know why I'm posting this other than I am finding it interesting and if I shared these thoughts with anyone else around here, they'd look at me like I was an idiot, and frankly I've felt like an idiot enough lately. blush

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets