Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 358 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    ...their suggestion that his abilities in general are second grade level.

I totally agree with others that this is a blessing in disguise -- I can just see the "bias" they will have, as my DS puts it. Good luck on your search.

That seems to be the big sticking point....handwriting. If you have a 1st grader that can reason as a 5th or 6th grader, I would say most of them wouldn't be able to write the volume that a 6th grader would be expected to write.

A
    A
    Oh HUGS HUGS HUGS. I know this had to be difficult. I know it would be difficult to hear that about my DD ability, when I know it is just not true. So big hugs for that. It sounds definitly like they had a problem with the story. I do know that DD would have a problem with handwritting too. Good luck with what ever choices you make.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    N
    N
    Yes, it sounds like you are well rid of them now, and count your blessings. If they won't even talk to you about it, and then they make up stories to justify their decision, you would not have wanted to deal with them on other things.

I did laugh my tail off at that story, though! smile

B
    B
    LOTS of hugs your way - I know this whole process had to be trying - HUGS

B
    B
    Sending my hugs too. Gosh, this handwriting barrier is so common. When one door closes, another invariably opens though. Best of luck!

Having a twelve year old daughter who is highly gifted, I immediately thought that he did not want to go to the school. Most schools do not like any violence in writing or drawing and someone may have mentioned this to him.

Gifties know how to sabotage something they do not want to do. When they are twelve, you can barely get them to do anything they are reluctant to do.

He may be afraid of change. I'd at least discuss this with him.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks everyone.

Ellipses, we all (husband, babysitter, and me) considered this. I would not put it past him! But I don't think that's what happened in this case. He sincerely wanted to go to the school. If anything he was trying to ingratiate himself to the teacher by playing the clown.

After sleeping on it I think I have a better handle on what happened. I think they have their own standard of "grade level" which is probably internally consistent, but simply doesn't line up with the real world. They may not even realize it (obviously they should).

Since this program requires kids to be in the 145-range on the Standford Binet V, my son was borderline in the first place. What I forgot to consider is that my son has already had a (sort of) grade skip. Going by his birthdate he should be in first grade. But he was in a flexible private school and it was obvious to everyone when he was four that he belonged in kindergarten. So he went ahead and started K and we never gave it another thought.

I think when this school evaluated him relative to kids one month to 11 months older with test scores as high or higher, he probably legitimately came up short. No, he is not "on grade level" - they are wrong. But how they are labeling him is not important. I think he probably got a fair shake.

Very Interesting JaneS - That seems reasonable to me.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM