Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    Jane,
    I just wanted to send a big virtual *hug* your way.
    Me too. I hope all is well, but it may not be, things being how they are. Our children do learn that there is 'a time and a place' for certian topics, and you might want to pencil it in sometime this summer - not until this is water under the bridge, for sure.

My son has a list of 'things not to kid around about in school' but couldn't have understood the need for the list at age 7, but by age 10 he started to 'get it.' He still says things that I wish he wouldn't occasionally. I think it's part of being a kid.

((hugs))

Grinity

Thank you, your thoughts are mirroring my own. Obviously, I should have had paid more attention to instilling the concept of an appropriate time and place - but I never anticipated such severe consequences for not doing so!

We are addressing it but (as you imply) I don't want to browbeat him about it, especially as he was quite pleased with himself and has never been admonished not to write a violent story. I don't want to make him feel too bad (he did really wanted to attend the school) but I want him to learn not to sabotage his opportunities.

At the least we will have learned from this experience.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Well, he didn't get in.

They referenced the story only to say he was reluctant to write and that his writing skills were below grade level (entirely possible).

But they also said his other academics were only at grade level. And that just doesn't seem possible. His FSIQ was 148 on the WISC and 140 on the SB-V (taken when he was quite sick). He scored a 157 on the math portion of the WIAT-II and the grade level equivalents ranged from 4-6 to 7-0. He's read all the Percy Jackson and Harry Potter books and worked through the EOG state math exams for fourth graders. His vocabulary is good and he was in a good mood that day. I just don't think there is any way he could have presented as a typical second grader.

So it must have been the story. Which I understand. It just kind of feels like they are rubbing salt in the wounds to say that he is at grade level. I mean come ON!

((hugs))
    I am sorry to hear this. What a shame.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

I wonder what Hemingway wrote about at your son's age? Lace and kittens?

A normal PG boy free associating is going to freak most people out.

Consider it a Badge of Honor to be rejected.

There are a number of public GT programs whose entrance is solely based on objective criteria that would love to have your son.

M
    M
    Shame on them. I guess it's better to know now if they are going to be so narrow minded. Sorry!

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    C
    C
    I'm sorry. I think that it is part and parcel of being gifted ourselves to want justice and it is particularly hard to hear people saying something that just isn't so when you have objective data to prove them wrong.

So, what's the game plan from here since your other ps option didn't sound like something you wanted to go with?

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for all the kind words.

I probably should reiterate that it's very possible his writing skills really would be problematic in a demanding program. So they may have made the correct choice based just on that. Also, during the period they were evaluating his application a 3rd grader in the local school system brought a gun to class and it was discharged. I can see how that might have spooked them.

So I'm trying not to drive myself nuts second-guessing their decision. But you called it, Cricket2 - I am more than a little irritated by their suggestion that his abilities in general are second grade level.

I also have an application in for his 9 y.o. brother. He's yet to be interviewed, but given the comments about my younger son I'm not feeling optimistic. My older son is not as quick, but more the intellectual type. Has a greater love of learning. Maybe they will consider him a better fit.

My younger son is 3rd on the waitlist at a charter school so that may come through. I also toured our local elementary and I likes it better than I thought I would. I would be comfortable with that for a year, but not long term.

Last edited by JaneSmith; 05/19/10 09:13 AM.
    Well, I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but perhaps it's for the best....considering they didn't even have a discussion openly with you on the topic after you broached it. If they are not open to communication w/ the parent, it's likely not a place for your kid.

Good luck on this journey....

Dazey

N
    N
    This is all sounding eerily familiar -- my DS6 was denied even an interview at our local HG+ public school and they rated his reading level at one grade level up, despite the fact that his scores put him in the PG range and he was reading at nearly a 5th grade level (this was the spring BEFORE he started K). Handwriting was one of the sticking points in his case as well. It's true, he wouldn't have been able to do a 2nd grade writing assignment this year (maybe not even a 1st grade one), but... ah well.

Val Offline
    All of this just highlights the need for legislated programs for gifted kids, as the kids with disabilities have.

Trying to fit HG+ kids into programs that are designed for ND kids just won't work.

<sigh>

So sorry Jane. smile

Val

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets