Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Are there huge differences usually in scores when comparing the OLSAT and NNAT?

We were just informed by our child's school (Ohio) that he has been identified for the gifted program next year (going into the 3rd grade). However we are moving in a few weeks to Virginia (Fairfax County). Here in Ohio they used only the OLSAT scores in my sons case (he did not require any further testing they said) but in Fairfax they use different testing and identification methods. How do these usually transfer- or will we need to request testing by there methods once we arrive. (and should we expect similar scores?)
    Also anyone in that area know the average cut off is for the program in Virginia.

Y
    Y
    My daughter has taken both the OLSAT and the NNAT. Her scores were quite different; different enough that I was left with more questions than answers. She scored a 130 nonverbal, 117 verbal on the OLSAT. It was administered in a group setting. Our district requires a 132 in one section of the test to qualify for services. Her OLSAT score really didn't jive with my observations and her teacher's observations of her. We decided to have her take the NNAT before turning to private testing. This was administered to her in a small room by the school enrichment teacher with one other child who was also taking the same test. She scored a 149 on this test that has a ceiling of 150. I'm sure some children perform similiarly on these two tests but that was not our experience.

Our school district accepts GT identification from other school districts. Retesting is not done on previously identified children when they move here.

S
    S
    If you are hoping for fall placement in the GT program, you should contact the GT coordinator
    Dr. Carol V. Horn
    K-12 Program Coordinator
    (571) 423-4740
    Carol.Horn@fcps.edu

Hopefully she will be able to direct you through the process of having your ds declared "level IV eligible" so he can start in the fall.

If you haven't already decided on where to live, be aware that some GT center programs are better than others. I'd be happy to provide any information that I can if you have any questions.

S
    S
    Oh...and as for the cutoff...
    It is a complicated process in Fairfax County. They first assemble a screening pool. A child can test into the 2nd grade screening pool by achieving at least a 132 on the NNAT or any one section of the COGAT. From that point, a file is assembled for each child in the "pool" that includes work samples, a gifted behavior rating scale completed by the child's teachers, an optional parent questionaire, etc. You can also submit WISC scores, letters of recommendation, etc.
    A committee then goes through each file and decides whether a child is eligible or ineligible.

There is no quota or limit. Every child that the comittee finds eligible is guaranteed a spot in a GT center.

Last edited by supercrunch; 05/17/10 12:01 PM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks so much for the info.

We already have a lease signed so to late to look around for better schools. He will be attending Greenbriar East (good school? or at least ok school?).
    I do not know if he would qualify for the center. It sounds like you really need to "prepare" to apply for it far in advance. This kinda just dropped into our laps. Didn't even realize that these programs existed until I got the word about him being identified. Going to look into it for sure though!

Do they also have school based programs? I saw some stuff online about different levels- but kinda confusing. I worry about him doing the center (if he even gets in) since he has some possible learning disabilities (working on getting testing done for auditory processing disorder)and moderate speech delays (on an IEP). Would he "fit in" in that kind of environment? Or would he fall behind becuase of a few extra challenges he faces? (a mommy has to have something to worry about ;-))

S
    S
    I believe the GT center for Greenbriar East is Greenbriar West.
    I don't know much about either school as we are closer to DC, but if you look at the test scores, Greenbriar West has significantly better scores (partially because of the GT population) and it also offers more GT related extra curricular activities like chess club, Odyssey of the Mind, etc. However, it looks like Greenbriar East does offer what they call "compacted math" which is similar to the math curriculum used in the GT center. It allows kids to move at a quicker pace than the general curriculum.

It is not uncommon for kids with challenges to be enrolled in the GT program. The GT center classes tend to have a wide variety of kids, each with their own strengths, weaknesses and quirks and they all seem to connect well. The curriculum is advanced and at a quicker pace, and they further differentiate by grouping the kids according to level (at most center schools).

I have found it to be a great program and it has really been wonderful for my dd. The greatest benefit has been that she has really "found her people" at the center. At the center, it's not "weird" to be obsessed with something that other kids haven't even heard of and it's not "geeky" to be crazy smart.
    They're a great bunch of kids.

Here are the school profiles
    Greenbriar East:
    http://commweb.fcps.edu/schoolprofile/profile.cfm?profile_id=254
    Greenbriar West:
    http://commweb.fcps.edu/schoolprofile/profile.cfm?profile_id=255

You also might want to sign up for the yahoo group at fcag.org .
    It's a great place to ask questions of local gt parents.

I hope that helps!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM