Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    One thing I would keep in mind for PG kids is that the situation can change radically from one year to the next. When our child was early elementary age and joined the program, I didn't think we would need to use the services. I wasn't even really sure why we were joining. As he's gotten older I have been appreciative that when we needed to access support it was already in place.

I was sort of thinking along those lines. If/when it is ever needed, it might be needed in a timely manner.

Yes, we're currently homeschooling and haven't needed advocacy support so far. But we revisit that decision every year, and I can certainly envision a day when he returns to school or needs help getting into an early-college program or something. I consider DYS to be an insurance policy in case things go that route.

I guess I would say that if you have no test scores and getting into DYS is the only reason you would want to have testing done, it might not be worth it to you. But if you already have qualifying scores in hand, it is COMPLETELY worth applying! It's totally free, so there's nothing to lose. All you're out is the time it takes to fill out the application. For that time cost, you get access to experts (both of the professional and BTDT-parent sort); social connections for adults as well as kids; financial help for schools, camps and materials if you need it; and fun Summits and Informal Gathering trips. Obviously you have to pay your own way on the trips, but everything else is FREE!

It's hard to beat services for free. The Davidsons really do just want to do what they can to support these kids.

Kriston
    C
    C
    Our family consultant has been in touch with Ds's teacher (with our permission!) and they have shared a lot of information to try to figure out some ways to help DS get over his paralyzing fear of timed tests. She was open to the suggestions of the family consultant as an "expert" but not open to mine... despite us saying the nearly exact same things!

Meetings, online conferences and tons of other resources are at our disposal. I really appreciate that it is not pushy in any way, it's just there if you want/need it.

I also know of others who have been put in direct contact with national experts that they would have had to wait months to get a consultation with. Sometimes just "who you know" is the most important!

I second or third what others have already said. We have met so many great like-minded people through the program, and DS6 has found friends relatively close by us that we would not have found without the program. Also, our family consultant helped us so much by talking with the gifted coordinator at DS's school. I think having an outsider (i.e., not a parent who could possibly be labeled "one of those parents") talk with the school personnel made a huge difference in getting appropriate services for our DS.

C
    C
    We put in the paperwork, although we didnt need their services as they state I think that the tests should be within the past two years. Other than being accepted, we have done de nada with it. But, we are in a very gifted friendly place, so we have no personal issues and dc has tons of gifted friends.

However, I am sure, if we didnt live where we do, we would most likely be finding out more about services and making better use of their resources.

C
    C
    They helped us with a behavioral problem at dd's school. Our FC was able to work directly with the teacher to sort this out. It saved us going to many meetings and dd now seems to have better work habits and social skills.

Warning: sleep deprived
    Mia Offline
    By the time my ds was accepted, we'd already pulled him from public school that wasn't working. I wish we'd had access to their services before it came to that!

Right now, we're not using any of the services for much, but I do subscribe to various email lists through the DYS program that are very helpful. And as the others say, I like knowing that our family consultant is there should we run into a situation in the future.

Mia
    Hi, Mia! smile

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Hi, Kriston! <wave>

I have been lurking again for a little while, but have been too embarrassed by my long absence to jump back in ... but I figured I had to do it eventually. smile

Mia
    Nah, don't be embarrassed. I'm just glad to e-see you. smile

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets