Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #76071 05/14/10 09:29 AM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    My son's classmate is moving to Harlingen TX area and is very concerned about gifted servicing there. Does anyone have experience with PG kids down there. I suggested skipping one or more grades if nothing else is available.

cym #76188 05/15/10 06:09 PM
    Harlingen is consider a poor district and falls into the Robin Hood act where money from rich districts are allotted to poor districts. As of 2008 funds per student was roughly $9000 for that district. There has been growth in the area and I know UT of San Antonio open a medical branch for the students to finish out their residency in the area, but I'm not sure about gifted programs and given the poor district status one has to wonder if they are more focused on high risk students and meeting the test standards. In the state of Texas gifted programs are left up to the district. The best thing your friend can do is call the district and talk to them. Though there isn't a web link for the gifted and talented program if your friend searches their website she will find mention of it but it is generic info at the most. They claim to have a program but for what levels and what they provide they make no mention, other than to contact the principal or counselor of the school he/she will attend.

As for percentage of PG kids in that area; I'm going to guess not many. I live in the metro area of Austin which is a university town and though we have a high number of gifted children in our area, there still is minimal PG kids.

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you Katelyn'sMom. I'll forward that info to the mom who's moving. I wish they didn't have to go.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent