Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #75815 05/10/10 08:38 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I was putting Ansley to bed and we had a conversation that has left me shaking my head and in awe. It came from no where..... She basically explained the time space continum to me...she has never heard or talked about any of this...

Me-Go to sleep or we wont go to the library.
    Her-Even if we don't go the library, time will still pass there, things will still happen, the clock there will still move.
    Me- Yes, that's an interesting concept. We'll talk about it tomorrow
    Her-We need to buy a clock
    Me- We have a clock
    Her- I need a clock that I can watch time move at the library while I am here and not there.

Okay, going to bed myself, shaking my head at the workings of my child's mind.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    B
    B
    Tks for sharing, amazedmom. Your daughter sounds amazing! Yes I would have that goggly eyed startled look if she were to be saying that to me!

I hope it's alright to share something similar. When my son was 5, we were reading a picture book on Coppernicus at bedtime. He suddenly said, "Yes, that's how it was in Japan. Everytime the bullet train passed us, I felt we were going backwards although we were going forward, but slower." We had gone there a year earlier for a holiday and had gotten on the slow train by mistake. I was floored.

These are great stories. There's certainly something to be said for the last minute before sleep questions. They seem to be some of the most profound. Like their bodies finally take a back seat so their minds can work. I think I understand the time space continuum better now.

Some I've had recently from DS4.5 include, "is infinity a prime number?", "how does your brain make pain?".

Also had a time one, "I can see time."
    Me: "What do you mean?"
    DS: "I can see a line to that book."

Basically boiled down to my having told him that it takes 8 minutes for the light of the sun to reach us. He reckoned that the time it took the light from an object to reach his eye represented him being able to 'see' time.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Love hearing others share there stories smile Thanks.

Yeah, sometimes her profound thoughts really just se to pop out of nowhere and shock me! Definitly shocs me out of denial every once in a while LOL

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM