Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think my DD may have dysgraphia. She has always hated the physical act of writing and struggled with it. Her oral spelling is quite good but her written spelling is abysmal. She writes things like "5iften" (fifteen). If I have her verbally spell while writing she will say one thing but still write something else. It's like her hand is not connected to her brain!

Her teachers have noticed the discrepancy between her oral and written output. She can read aloud at a sixth grade level with adult sounding expression and pronunciation. She gets 100% on most spelling tests. But when she tries to write sentences/paragraphs/stories it becomes a mess of misspelled, written-over words, left out letters and words, etc. She will still reverse letters occasionally. Is this really normal for an 8 year old?

She is above grade level in all subjects except writing where she is just getting "satisfactory".

She has trouble completing writing-intensive assignments at school and has to bring them home. Last week she had to copy problems from her math book onto a separate sheet of paper and then complete the problems. It took her longer to copy them than it did to do the problems.

Any advice or experience in this area would be helpful!

Cathy

Hi Cathy!
    You daughter certianly has a handwriting issue. It may or may not be actual dysgraphia, because for so many gifted kids, getting the brain to slow down to child handwriting speed is just plain difficult. Tell us more! What's her status with keyboarding? How is she with Art? Is perfectionism at work here - either "It's terrible so I won't even try" or "endless erasures?"

And lastly, sure it took her longer to copy the problems than to do the questions, that almost goes without saying - but did it take her longer to copy the problems than agemates?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    L
    My son recently went back to a developmental pediatrician about his handwriting. The doctor told us if there are any reversals after the age of seven it is dysgraphia.

My son is nine. Orally he can spell thousands of words correctly from the spelling bee booklet he is using to prepare for our state's Pee Wee Spelling Bee. I found a lot of these words online on an 8th grade spelling list. He will type these words correctly without a problem. But sometimes when he writes, especially when he takes notes, he will reverse letters or numbers and then he can't believe he did it. He says his hands don't do what he wants them to do sometimes. When he was tested at age seven his visual-motor integration was a few years lower than his actual age but his visual perceptual was a few years higher than his actual age and at that time he had tracking issues which were helped by vision therapy. We were told to try Handwriting without Tears. He did and when the doctor had him write a few sentences for her later that year, he seemed to have improved. I also looked at the handwriting of another gifted boy his age and it didn't seem that different so we thought his handwriting was good enough. My son could write legibly if he wrote slowly but his had would tire easily (but he also has hypotonia) and that was more of a problem. For that reason the doctor told me to teach him to type and this worked really well for him so I didn't have him practice handwriting as much.

Like you said, there were times I thought it was like his hand was not connected to his brain. The strange thing was that he would not reverse letters all the time and I thought if I took him back to the doctor he would just take his time and there wouldn't appear to be any big handwriting problems.

I took him back to the doctor when I realized there was enough of a problem that it embarrassed him to write anything in front of other kids and I worried that this also might be a problem when he has to take tests in the future. He had enough of a problem coloring in the bubbles quickly and without going outside the lines on the practice test for the Explore that I knew I needed a diagnosis to get accommodations for this kind of thing--too late for this year though.

His dysgraphia definitely caused problems with doing math. We also had to copy problems from workbooks on to another piece of paper and he could only do one or two long division or multi-digit multiplication problems per page and math was such an unpleasant experience for him because of the handwriting difficulties that he said he hated it. I had to have him do just one multiplication and one division problem instead of a whole page but I would pick the hardest one I could find on the page. Otherwise it would take him too long to do math and it was just too stressful for both of us. He learned to do mental math wherever he could and he played math games online. He figures out the answers to math problems in ways that are different from the way I was taught, but I think he needs to be allowed to do this, to find a way to compensate for this disability. I was so happy when we started using aleks.com for math. It doesn't care how he got the answers, just that he enters the right answer. He only has to get three correct and it lets him move on to the next concept. He always learned new concepts quickly and easily and this allowed him to move at a pace he was comfortable with without being held back by the dysgraphia.

People just assume that gifted kids can write. Even Davidson wanted us to submit something that he had written in his own handwriting to go along with his portfolio that I had already submitted even though I am almost positive I mentioned his handwriting difficulties. I knew this would be too difficult so I didn't even have him try. It was not worth it for us.

We even decided not to do the Explore test this year, even though I already paid for it, partly because of the dysgraphia.

The spelling bee requires a written test to qualify for the oral test. He will have to write 30 of the words and if there are erasures on any word, that word is counted as incorrect. So even though he spent many hours learning thousands of words, his dysgraphia might cause him to not qualify for the oral part of the spelling bee which I am sure he would do well in.

We are still waiting to see an OT, so I don't know anything about that yet.

I remember the doctor said something about therapy helping create "new neural pathways." That sounds hopeful and interesting.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    What's her status with keyboarding? She is not a fast typist but she prefers keyboarding to writing when given the choice.

How is she with Art? She loves art and is very creative. She says, "I like art because art is never wrong. If it doesn't come out the way I wanted I can make it into something else."

Is perfectionism at work here - either "It's terrible so I won't even try" or "endless erasures?" This could be part of it. See quote above.

And lastly, sure it took her longer to copy the problems than to do the questions, that almost goes without saying - but did it take her longer to copy the problems than agemates? I'm not really sure but since her teachers have remarked on it, she may be slower than average.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    But sometimes when he writes, especially when he takes notes, he will reverse letters or numbers and then he can't believe he did it. He says his hands don't do what he wants them to do sometimes. Yes. This is what DD experiences.

when the doctor had him write a few sentences for her later that year, he seemed to have improved. Her handwriting does improve, albeit much more slowly than other subjects.

Like you said, there were times I thought it was like his hand was not connected to his brain. The strange thing was that he would not reverse letters all the time and I thought if I took him back to the doctor he would just take his time and there wouldn't appear to be any big handwriting problems.
    I alternate between thinking there's a problem and thinking this is just not a strength area. DD will spell the same word in several different ways within the same paragraph. If I then ask her to spell it orally, she spells it correctly. What do I think about that? At first I thought she was being lazy but now I don't think so.

I was so happy when we started using aleks.com for math. It doesn't care how he got the answers, just that he enters the right answer. DD rocketed ahead in math when we did EPGY over the summer. She didn't have to spend mental effort on writing answers and was much more motivated and excited about math.

Hi there. It's me responding as an OT again!

From my standpoint, when a parent brings in a child and has concerns about handwriting these are the things I look at:

1)vision - I screen for near point focusing/convergence problems and other developmental vision issues that warrant a referral to an optometrist

2)overall motor coordination - I check for signs of dyspraxia and motor coordination issues that can be one source of handwriting issues. This includes bilateral motor coordination, the ability to cross midline, how the pencil is held, etc. Both gross and fine motor abilities assessed.

3) eye/hand and visual motor integration skills - standardized assessments (Beery Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration, aka VMI) and informal observations. Important to separate out whether there is a visual issue, motor issue or both. The VMI has vision and motor subtests to help isolate which is the problem

4)perceptual skills - how is visual information interpreted. It is one thing to *see* it but another to understand it. Again, there are standardized assessments for this area of function. It's important to see if there is laterality and directionality developed (understanding of r/l and top/bottom, etc). Other skills are also included in this testing (figure ground, visual closure, and others).

5) quality of handwriting and effort for handwriting - is it labored, difficult, slow, etc all the time or only at certain levels of challenge. Is it easy to do some parts of writing but not others? Are the letters formed and spaced properly on the page? Lots and lots of stuff to look at informally.

I believe that dysgraphia is considered a learning disorder of written expression. Sometimes the dysgraphia is linked to generalized dyspraxia. So treating the dyspraxia for the whole body really helps with the handwriting. But sometimes the issue is more left brain dysfunction and then harder to treat. An OT can't actually diagnose dysgraphia, that needs to come from a psychologist.
    Good luck as you look at what is going on and what can help. I'm sure you'll find some answers. Accomodation and/or intervention are both helpful, so you should look at both options. The important thing is that she be able to produce the written work in the easiest, least stressful manner possible.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, Debbie!

It really helps to know what we should be looking at. Her large motor skills are actually above average for her age. She is a fantastic reader, but not so good at sounding out new words. I think she just has a huge vocabulary of sight words. When I read an article by Linda Silverman on Visual-Spatial learners, many of the characteristics fit DD. Does that correspond to a left-brain problem?

I am planning to have her assessed by a psychologist but it will probably take a while to make the arrangements.

Debbie-

We're so lucky to have you on this board! I really enjoy reading your thoughts on OT related things.

FWIW, my son was diagnosed with add, dysgraphia and a visual processing issue three years ago. He has made huge strides with his writing through HWT and their cursive books in particular. He still balks at writing, but it is slowly becoming less and less of a BIG issue. I think that near daily repetition is really important for these kids.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've heard a lot of people recommend Handwriting Without Tears--maybe I'll check that out.

Cathy

P
    P
    We have the endless erasure problem, too. My DD6's papers are so messy because she doesn't erase completely. It's so frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM