Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I know that seems like a silly question but..... I think we're doing everything and more but it just doesn't take that long. I might be able to pull 2 hours of school time the rest is play time, reading and exporation. I'm covering reading, writing, grammer, cursive, keyboard, latin roots, math (Singapore and Zaccaro), logic, history and science(opposite days), art and guitar. Am I off? He's happy that it's new material from when he was in school, but he's still flying through it. Any ideas?

A
    A
    Hi Learningmom,

It's great that your son is working through the material and enjoying himself. Have you tried having him work on a self-guided project? You could present him with several learning style options (create a short film/commercial, design a game, write a poem/song, etc.) and have him select a topic from his studies. You could give him a mini rubric so that he knows what to include in the project. He could work on the project for 1-2 weeks and present it to family and/or friends. This would also give him an opportunity to create a portfolio.

Good luck!

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
    http://AGVIgifted.org
    C
    C
    One of my good friends who is homeschooling spends about 3-4 hours/day on it, but I do think that a bit more than that is probably more desirable. Our local district "requires" you to do a minimum of 4 hrs/day, I believe, although I don't imagine that they'd be able to confirm how much time you are spending.

My goal, if we manage to make hs work next year for dd9, is to spend 4 hrs/day or maybe sometimes 5. I could wind up being wrong, though wink!

W
    W
    You should do what our Independent Study teacher did with us when I was worried we weren't doing enough "school."

She sat down with me and made me list EVERYTHING we did each day that was educational. That includes all the discussions we have, the educational TV and computer games he plays, free reading time, physical activity, social interactions with other kids (like Cub Scouts and play dates), reading to him at bedtime,even imaginative play time like legos or pretend play, etc...

Once you actually get it all down on paper you will probably be astounded at how much time your kid is actually spending learning or doing "school" related activities each day. I know I was!!! We sit down and "do school" for about an hour or two each day. That includes math, root words, phonics, Mad Libs, logic, spelling and some science and social studies. Art happens when he's interested, music is in the car, typing is when he wants to and Spanish is when I have the initiative. He also reads specifically for school a little each day. I thought we were missing something and just not doing enough "school." When we wrote EVERYTHING down it turned out that he was spending between six and eight hours a day doing school related things, well over the four required hours.

The reading and exploration your kid is doing more than likely count as school. Some of the playtime probably does as well. Take some time and really list everything educational/school related he does. It should be eye-opening. smile

K
    K
    I personally think that's great. If you're moving forward and your child is happy and being challenged in some way, then carry on. smile We don't do much more than that on average. But my kids take on a lot of their own exploration, learning, and reading. We do a lot of field trips and outings.

My 9 year old 3rd grader spends 2-3 hours typically. My 5 year old is literally maybe 1/2 hour with maybe another 1/2 hour read aloud time. We usually have 1 longer day a week.

I totally agree with Wyldkat. If you start doing the math on social, extra curricular, educational games, free reading, etc. it really adds up. Just because you aren't sitting at a table producing paper work and output doesn't mean a lot of learning isn't just happening on it's own. My kids aren't allowed any recreational TV or computer between get up time and 3 pm. So anything they're doing during those hours tends to be learning based, whether they know it is or not. Yesterday my 5 year old "engineered" a village for her beanie baby cats in out living room out of a pile of boxes. She had me cutting doors and hooking them up. My 9 year old lately has been playing with magic tricks (hey that's research and small motor skills!) and Rube Goldberg machines (physics!).

If you think about how much time the average child in a classroom is actually engaged and learning something new, it really wouldn't be more than that generally.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Wonderful!! I so appreciate the reinforcement and great ideas. It's really tough when you're on your own and add in there I've had a cold all week! And there were snowflakes falling 2 days ago. Sheesh. I really got into the 'am I doing this right?!! All right then. I've pulled my boots back on!!!!! Thanks everyone-

Think about your goals for homeschooling. That should reassure you that you're doing fine.

My goals are to have a happy, healthy (mentally and physically) child who progresses and likes to learn. Granted those are my goals and not yours, but FWIW, it sounds to me like you're hitting all of that quite nicely. smile

A couple of hours a day is usually plenty for an early- to mid-level elementary student if he's covering the material efficiently and being sufficiently challenged. We usually take longer than that for DS8, but he's sloooooooow-moving!

Keep up the good work! laugh

Kriston
    H
    H
    My bare minimum output in writing DS just produced the 'official' "How to train your dragon" book. He cataloged every dragon and wrote about their specific weapon. He then wrote/drew diagrams on how to train that dragon. I think we are up to 10 pages or so.

My kids also built a zoo yday out of lincoln logs. Perhaps I should have teamed up with KimCK in her living room so we'd only have one messy house to clean up. Today was science day with duct tape and recycled boxes (cereal, chips, granola bars, and newspaper). This was all in addition to our regular school day and field trips.

It sounds like you are right on track and doing a great job. We love Singapore math here too. Woohooo!

I"m always envious of folks with kids who are quick to get it done!!! If you're getting all that done in a couple of hours, ENJOY it! We take much, much longer than that. I'm HSing a 4th grader and a 1st grader and a 3yr old. There are so many interruptions in the day. I added up the actual time spent on task for my 1st grader and it averaged 2hrs/day. Time for my 4th grader averaged 4-4.5hrs. It takes about 6-7hrs though to get that time in with fixing lunch, cleaning up messes from my 3yr old, cleaning the house (house is for sale so have to prepare daily for showings).

Dazey

DS usually works for about 3 hrs a day, not including art and science experiments. He has alot of subjects (self inflicted) but it doesn't take him long to get through it. As long as they are moving forward, it's all good!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations