Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    We had our private autism consultant conduct the FBA (at our expense, sigh); there was nobody among the school staff who understood how to take meaningful data, or what to look for. The results were very much worth the effort in showing the school what was going on that they weren't understanding, and how to prevent behaviors they don't want.

DeeDee

G
    GM5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you both for the imput - I'm not sure if the school psychologist would be experienced at that or not - I know no one else on staff would be. I guess the only thing to do is ask.

They had a new Positive Behavior Plan which just petered out after 2-3 weeks; the teacher just will not follow through. Her current stance is that she behavved well for 2 days so she is capable and should do it every day. Now she is holding the threat over her head of taking away her role in the Kindergarten play unless she behaves "perfectly" all day every day (2 weeks to go). I wouldn't mind so much if the teacher was doing what she was supposed to be doing. This has gone on all year.

I really wish we could find a psychologist like yours, Nan in our area. I'm so glad she is able to help him.

D
    D
    GM5, in your shoes I would talk to the principal and have them get that teacher to follow the behavior plan. It is cruel to punish a child because they have a disability, and it should not be allowed to happen. A threat like that is terrible for a child who is already suffering from anxiety; if it were my anxious kid, I know he would not behave at all while under such a threat, not because he didn't want to, but because he'd be terrified, and feeling worse and worse about himself.

A positive behavior plan can definitely be made part of the IEP, and should in your case; at which point it is legally mandated and the teacher doesn't get to choose whether to follow it. She has to. An IEP is good protection for your child.

I will also add that girls are harder to diagnose correctly than boys. Yours sounds a lot like an 8yo girl in our extended family who is creative, imaginative, social-- and has an Asperger's diagnosis. (She is social, but it costs her a lot of energy and anxiety to be social, and she often does it "incorrectly," usually playing in ways that are not quite usual.)

Not saying yours does or should have an AS diagnosis, just saying you may do better with the school if you use private resources to really pin down a diagnosis accurately. Sometimes support from a private expert makes it possible to educate the school about the child's needs in a way that the family alone cannot do. This is how we have made progress with our DS.

It's wonderful that your kiddo has you as an advocate.

Dee

GM5, We get the same thing at school with DS, "He's doing better, so let's take away the services and accommodations!" Yikes!!! That's WHY he's doing better. And the behavior plan can't be optional for the teacher. Like Dee said, talk to the principal. DH went in for two different hour long meetings with the principal before we saw across the board enforcement of DS's plan...and his is a legal IEP/BIP. Frustrating! Nan

G
    GM5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I am somewhat of a disadvantage because GD is my granddaughter and I have no direct standing with the school. DD & GD live with us and DD works afternoons and evenings so I take care of GD most of the time during the week. Her mom has been trying to get through to the school all year, with more regularity lately. I try to do as much research as I can, provide DD with books & info (a lot provided by this forum) and make suggestions when I can. I asked DD if she was going to bring up the stopage (again) of the Positive Behavior Plan and she wants to discuss it with the school psychologist (whose there 2 days a week) rather that confronting the teacher directly. Depending on how that conversation goes, I think she should talk to the principal (but she's not been very supportive or helpful). I was hoping that an IEP would carry more weight but I guess you still have to "police them".

Dee Dee - DD and I have talked about getting a private evaluation done but she has not decided yet. I hope we'll at least have a little more information once we get the written report. How much of GD's behaviors/anxieties are just extreme OE's, sensory problems which she has, or the way she's been handled all year at school who knows? We realize that there could still be another diagnosis in the wings besides generalized anxiety but Asperger's seems like a stretch for several reasons. However, either way she definitely still has some of the characteristics which need to be addressed.

It has really been helpful to me to see that others (dx or not) have similar issues. Thanks to this forum I have learned a lot and been able to inform DD about what I have learned from you all about advocating, 2E issues, IEP's and special education rights etc. Without you all, I can't imagine where we would be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM