Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #75250 05/01/10 08:34 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    A little background first-my 8yo daughter Piper was tested last year in school with the Otis Lennon and Stanford-Binet. I had asked about getting her tested in the fall, and was told they only test in the spring, basically. When her results came back she did not qualify for GT, which I'll admit threw me for a loop, the kid was reading Harry Potter. I expressed some concern about the testing method-ie, large group, and she's on a number of meds that cause distractibility. I was told she could re-test the beginning of this school year. Long story short she was only in the classroom for about two weeks at the beginning of the year due to health issues, and has been on homebound instruction since.

Next year (she'll be 4th grade) we're going back to the classroom. During her last hospital admission (she has Cystic Fibrosis), the hospital teacher expressed an interest in testing her! I agreed (maybe somewhat eagerly, lol), and she was given the WJ iii Achievement test. Here are some of her scores...

Total Achievement-148
    Broad Reading- 152
    Broad Math- 127
    Broad Written Language- 138
    Academic Skills- 136
    Academic Fluency- 154

I was actually a bit surprised her math was as high as it was, lol! I was not surprised by the reading scores. I guess my question is whether the school should still hassle me about getting her into GT with these scores? (We're in VA). I would also think her reading scores would qualify her for differentiated ed at the least? Also, I don't have the grade equivalencies, and am curious about where they would fall..is there a conversion chart or anything of that nature I could use? I would just hate to hassle the hospital teacher about it.
    Thank you all so much, I just want to be prepared when I speak to the school about it, they tend to brush off GT as "no big deal", when I know Piper is bored stiff half the time.

-Amanda

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Any way the hopsital teacher would give her an IQ test as well? The WISC would be a good choice since she has already done the SB.

Those are indeed very strong scores overall!

School might be hesitant (for whatever dumb reason) to pay attention to tests not given by them; but I would absolutely bring those up to the principal. I would also check what the requirements for the GT program are. Some SD do take outside testing and others do not.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    The school district uses a combination of test scores (most weight), gpa, and teacher recommendation. The hospital teacher probably would do a WISC, but I'm hoping we won't be there again in the near future, lol. Out of curiousity I just looked at the homepage for her school's GT program, and there are only 7!! students in it..the school population is 200+. I do know she barely missed the cut-off even with the off OL and S-B last year.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you so much, Dottie. I know the WJ was Form A, but I don't know if that tells you anything or not, lol. It was the Stanford-10 that she was given, I have the scaled scores, but they're pretty much greek to me.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you smile I will look into getting either the WISC-IV or SB-5 done the next time she's inpatient, it's not something I can fund, and I have a feeling the school wouldn't either. Her total on the OLSAT was 121, but she does not seem to test well in a group setting, as I mentioned before. Thank you again for your help.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs