Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    Dad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi - Just signed on while researching RIT scores for one of my kids - 2nd grade with very high MAP score - and hit this site.

I'm working from home right now so didn't have time to fully digest the site - does anyone want to give me a quick overview and recommendations on specific forums or topics I should look at?

My situation - kids aged kindergarten to middle school. Middle child off scales I think - 2nd grader doing random 4th & 5th grade assignments (good teacher but does not have resources to really teach my daughter but does recognize her abilities and throws her different assignments from time to time). other kids by the way are also smart but don't know where they fall on gifted scales - my focus is on 2nd grader now.

We don't want to do after school educational things - kids should be kids - and she is in soccer, getting black belt in Taekwondo, etc. which is good.

No objection to after school homework - we just don't want a full evening curriculum. Would rather have the school provide instruction during the day, but I recognize we will have to recommend things to the teachers and principal (who also knows daughter is teaching challenge and is supportive but it is not translating to gifted education yet).

Other factors - daughter is very quite and compliant - won't make a fuss - so if the teacher does not provide stimulation or challenge then our daughter will just remain quiet in the room. Teachers typically pair her up with students that need help and she does the teaching. have seen other kids in district get special treatment, usually because they are precocious or have nagging parents. not our situation.

kid is high in all measures. she said she saw here english MAP RIT score and it was 247 which I believe. Early in the year we met with teacher who showed us a chart with all student math and english scores - names masked - all students fell in first 3 boxes - 2 scores alone off at the right side of a 4th box - teacher said those were my daughter's math and English scores. The scores were both 99th percentile but I suspect 97th and above probably don't tell you much - there can be huge variability when stuffing all the smart kids with different capabilities in a couple of percentage points...

So... my objective would be to absorb as much as I can about the experiences of others and try to craft a long term plan that lets her be a kid but also challenges her during the day. I really think the sky is the limit, but socialization is very important so I realize this will have to be a joint "on the down low" effort between us parents and the teachers so she is mainstream but actually learning and starting to live up to her potential.

Sorry to ask for this basic help, but with very limited time to search (as I steal time from work) I was hoping someone can help kick start my time here. from what I have seen here sounds like my daughter would be "normal" within his group so I welcome thoughts.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Dad; 04/30/10 09:10 AM.
    D
    Dad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    oh and one more thing - her teacher will be looping with her into 3rd grade. therefore I am certain she will work with us, but I will probably have to count on the ideas from you forum folks to provide the curriculum suggestions.

I suspect part of the reason the teacher is looping is to support my daughter and one other child. So... the recognition of the challenge is there at the school and we just need to convert the willingness to challenge our daughter into an action plan.

Originally Posted by Dad
    oh and one more thing - her teacher will be looping with her into 3rd grade.
    The real question is 'should your daughter be doing 3rd grade next year?' Perhaps she would be better off moving to 4th with a few subject accelerations? As you say, the school day 'should' be for learning so your daughter can 'be a kid' in the afternoons.

One reasonable step is to have your DD spend a day or two getting a Psychoeducational Evaluation, if you can find a local psychologist with extensive experience in gifted kids. Theoretically this professional could guide you and the school as to proper placement for your DD. Sort of a way to help you get individualized advice without reinventing the whole wheel.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

I don't know
    Elizabeth Mika Chicago area
    e-mail elamika@yahoo.com, phone: (847) 543-9550
    but I see that she has been spoken about very highly in many places.

Is there a Mom or other co-parent in the picture who might help take on the research duties? It's great if everyone can get on board more or less at the same time, although not necessary.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM