Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I am certainly new to all this gifted testing and could use a professional or at least an "experienced" eye. What do these scores mean?
    DD's age at time of test was 6

Norms based on age 5-11

Basic Reading PR: >99.9 ;SS: 159
    Reading Comp PR: >99.9 ;SS: 149
    Math Reasoning PR: 93 ;SS: 122
    Academic Skills PR: 99.6 ;SS: 140
    Academic Apps PR: 99.6 ;SS: 139

Form A of the following tests was administered
    Letter-Word identification Raw 50;>99.9 155
    Calculation Raw 5;85% 115
    Spelling Raw 15;80% 113
    Passage Comprehension Raw 26; 99.9% 145
    Applied Problems Raw 24; 91% 120
    Writing Samples Raw 10-B; 97% 129
    Word Attack Raw 22 >99.9 150
    Reading Vocabulary 99.5 139
    Quantitative Concepts 96% 126

Do you also need AE(age equivalancy) or any of the other numbers provided such as Grade equivalent or RPI (whatever that is??)

Any help is appreciated...what do you see???

Last edited by crazydaisy; 04/28/10 04:11 PM.
    OP Offline
    Thank you so much Dottie for the insight! All the "lingo" is a bit overwhelming at times.

I was certain she would do well in reading. And these scores really helped in eliminating the reading readiness and phonics worksheets she was having to do in Kindergarten. It's been a pretty rock road thus far with lots of ups and downs.

I'm glad to have someone to look at the scores and give an opinion. As to what's next...hmmmmm....we are still figuring that out. The child is a puzzle. School is a really difficult match for her thus far, so we're still putting the pieces together.

Does Davidson qualify a child on these particular scores on the WJ if the IQ shows the same? Or does she need to have proficiency in math as well. My guess will be that the math will follow. She's had no formal math instruction at the time of the test and did fairly well since it must have been intuitive on her part.

Thank you again.

OP Offline
    She's getting tested in the next month or so. I'm hesitant only in that she's had a rough experience in school so far and may not trust that taking an IQ test will help her. She really crashed at the beginning of school and hated it, what with the phonics worksheets, and reading readiness activities such as cutting out pictures and matching them to the appropriate letter. Ouch! The achievement test succeeded in eliminating some of the worksheets but simply replaced them with harder worksheets. She recieves no real instruction. She asked for more math, and as a response was allowed to do two worksheet to work ahead instead. Ugh!

Anyway, to make a long story short. I'm not sure whether she will qualify for Davidson or not. It may be that it's just her reading that is going to be advanced, and like you said a temporary problem, until other kids in class begin to read. The problem, is that we are in a district with NO services, no differentiation, and a very small population with low to average learners. It's a district that a bright child might struggle with, so then a gifted child is left to fend for themselves.

Qualifying for the Davidson program is just one option in a large picture. Homeschooling part time is where we a headed for next year. That's the best solution for now.

We are now working with a psychologist specializing with gifted children and very familiar with Davidson. She is planning to do an IQ test and possibly another achievment test, although the one we have may be all she needs.

I would wait on all of this testing, if we weren't already at the "Oh, crud...this really isn't working!" point with our daughter.

Okay, I lied...I CAN'T make a long story short!!! laugh

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM