Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74891 04/27/10 12:17 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi, I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can help me make sense of my 5.5 year old daughter's test data.

She took the WPPSI (short form) at 5 yr 4 mo. to qualify into a self contained gifted school next year. Here is the data:

Information: 16
    Vocabulary: 12
    Word Reasoning: 14

Block Design: 17
    Matrix Reasoning: 17
    Picture Concepts: 16

VIQ: 124
    Performance IQ: 142
    FSIQ: 136

She also took 2 sections the WIAT-II achievement test at 5 yr 4 mo. and scored:

Reading 145
    Math. 116

She qualified, but didn't get a slot at the school as it's a lottery. We decided to send her to our local pulic school and advance her into first grade next year (she has an August birthday, so should be a kindergartener next year in my state.) Our school system went ahead and had her qualify her GATE slot for next year, so at 5 years 7 mo. she took the following:

NNAT
    non-verbal index 139

K-BIT
    verbal 143
    non-verbal 134
    full scale 143

What does all this mean? I appreciate any insight!

Hi Midwestmom22 - welcome!

Congrats on making the cut off to the self contained program, too bad the lottery wasn't kind. I wonder if as September gets closer that a space might open up? That would be nice. The gradeskip with the local school's gifted program might make a nice substitute. The fact that your district has both a self contained program AND a local GATE program predicts that you live in a 'gifted-friendly' community.

All of the scores show that your daughter is 'gifted for sure' and not 'borderline' in any way.

More info on test can be found here:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests_tell_us.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm

There's lots of wonderful articles on Hoagies Website to ponder. If you have any questions about what you read there, come and post here, or email the webmistress, she is very helpful and kind.

Was someone from the school willing to sit down with you and explain the scores? The most basic thing to know is that some of these scores are created in such a way so that 100 is average, and each 15 points represents one standard deviation more or less than average.

The other scores (for the things like Information) are based on a scale where 10 is the average, and each standard deviation is 3. Any score between 17 to 19 could represent a area where the child is 'beyond the test' so that the child ran out of items to get right before she made enough errors to stop the test. This is referred to as the ceiling.

So you can see that IQ tests scores don't directly talk about 'how smart' the child is, rather 'how unusual' the child is. Everyone you talk to will have a different definition of what 'gifted' means (sad to say, but you may as well get used to it) and my personal definition is 'unusual enough to have special educational needs that aren't typically filled in a regular classroom.'

From my personal definition, it follows that a child who scores at 130 and lives in a school district where the average IQ is 117 might not be 'gifted' because there are a nice bunch of kids who have very similar learning needs and the teachers are used to providing appropriate challenge. A different child might have an IQ of 120, in a district where the average is 90, and there are gifted from my perspective because only a few teachers 'get' them. The part of this that might apply to you is were LOG (levels of gifted) comes into play. It is very hard to tell from your daughter's scores above, because people over 130 are rare enough that it is hard to design tests that are accurate over 130, but she might find that even with the gradeskip, she is underchallenged, even in the pull out program, or even if she had been placed in the self contained program. You might get a more accurate IQ from the WISC IV compared to the WPPSI, but my suspicion is that observing her on a day to day basis, and observing the classrooms she is in, will really be the main way you can get a feel for this. When she is 7 or 8, she can start taking the talent search tests, which help to get a feel for LOG by giving children various tests that were designed for older children, so that on can see how gifted kids compare to other gifted kids. If you have friends with kids in 7th grade, you may have heard that they take the SAT or ACT, usually meant for high school 11th graders, to see if they qualify for certain summer camps. That is an example of the talent searches.

Anyway, It could be that the single skip and the pull out program are totally a perfect fit for your daughter and you get to live happily ever after - that seems pretty likely to me, actually!

Keep posting here and let us know what your specific concerns are, and we'll keep trying our best to offer perspective. Is she a general delight with a few problem areas? Has it been a rough road so far? Both? Welcome to the board!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...