Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    We registered for the MAP through the same company as Dazey.

It's been very busy here lately so we haven't had a chance to do any of the three tests yet, but I'm hoping to do them soon.

I'll post more about it once DD has completed the tests.

Y
    Y
    I have had children taking the NWEA MAP for a few years now. While I do find the overall RIT score somewhat interesting, the score breakdowns seems more useful in terms of offering information to aid in the child's learning.

For math, there is a range score in the areas of number sense/computation/operations, patterns/functions/algebra, data/statistics/probility, and spatial sense/geometry/measurement.

In reading, the categories are word recognition/analysis/vocabulary expansion, comprehension/informational, comprehension/narrative, and literature.

Our school district has on-line learning tools for each range but not for the general RIT average score. For example, a child with a literature range of 206-222 can go onto the school website and do literature activities in the range of 200-210, 211-220, etc...

OP Offline
    Yes that would definitely be more helpful. I won't get that breakdown until June.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by YGCDMOM
    Our school district has on-line learning tools for each range but not for the general RIT average score. For example, a child with a literature range of 206-222 can go onto the school website and do literature activities in the range of 200-210, 211-220, etc...
    Here are links I've been using to guide some direct instruction at DD's level:
    Reading http://www.sowashco.k12.mn.us/ro/Pages/studentlinks/map/reading.htm
    Math http://www.sowashco.k12.mn.us/ro/Pages/studentlinks/map/

OP Offline
    WOW - my 1st grader just finished the reading portion. The first passage was from Tolstoy! Ok, many of the 2nd graders here were reading books like Harry and Mudge! DS did well. He scored 213 which is 50th% for 5th graders. His lexile score came out to 743-893. I'm still flabbergasted over this test.

I
    I
    Found a Tolstoy question in the slideshow comparing different states' NCLB tests (see slide#7).
    Quite the softball they gave him to start off with, LOL! wink
    http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cfe/Petrilli%20Presentation.pdf
    I can better understand the teachers' concerns since starting a test this way could throw a ND child for quite a loop. I would have expected the questions to start off easy and gradually increase in level of difficulty.

OP Offline
    THAT WAS IT!!!! Why did my 1st grader (ok, I had to lie and call him a 2nd grader to sign up for this test b/c they only offered the grade 2-5 test - well I suppose lie is a strong word since we HS, I can call him what I want, can't I?) so why did a 2nd grader start w/ that question when it clearly states it is a grade 4 question? He got the first question correct which lead to that question which he got right also. But the first one, he had narrowed down to 2 choices and happened to pick the right one. But then he got subsequent ones correct and if the first was fluke and he missed subsequent questions, it would have bumped him down a level right? So it gave him 1 question which was about ordering paragraphs which I don't consider 2nd grade either and jumped to 4th grade level questions? And while the answers to the question for the Tolstoy are not difficult, A,B,and C were all assumptions/inferences a kid might make based on the passage while only D was a fact from the story.

Is there a movie link to the slideshow? I'd like to hear or read the commentary to go with each slide.

Thanks,
    Dazey

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 04/28/10 05:46 AM.
    OP Offline
    For those taking the MAP soon, please be on the look out for a passage about HSers. Someone at the WTM board reported that her DD said that on the test she took at PS which the mom believes was the MAP test for 5th graders, there was a passage stating all the tings that HSers miss out on not being in public school. If I do find this passage on the test, I will certainly write a letter to NWEA!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Is there a movie link to the slideshow? I'd like to hear or read the commentary to go with each slide.
    No movie link but here's an article that's similar:
    http://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/winter0708/conjuring.pdf

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM