Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Seems to me like there are many shared traits between visual spatial learners and Executive Function Deficits - Is this really just two different explanations for the same behavior or similar behavior caused by two separate things and how would we tell the difference?

S
    S
    That's an interesting question. If ADHD is one kind of executive function deficit, there is a chart in the middle of this article that you might find interesting re: vsl and adhd http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/george.pdf

Since people can be visual spatial learners without deficits, it would seem that visual spatial learning and having executive function deficits are two separate things. However, another interesting question is to what extent persons with executive function deficits are also VSLs, though I think the answer may yield more fruit if executive function deficits were broken down into different types. All right now I'm totally out of my realm. I recall there being an "expert" on EF here on the board somewhere, come out come out smile

P
    P
    Ohhh, thanks for posting that link, snowgirl! Very helpful.
    And, Breakaway4, I really appreciate you asking that question, as it's something I've wondered about as well.

I think the most frustrating thing about having a 2e child is just figuring out exactly how they learn so we can help them succeed (in school and in life). Obviously, the inclination is to get the proper diagnoses so that we can research and figure out what makes them tick and how to present information in a way they can best receive and organize it.

But because of the nature of these complex (and fascinating!) kiddos, and because of the expansive world of the internet & its resources for pinpointing various symptoms, it is SO DIFFICULT to figure out what's what.

One day, my DS12 might seem to fit perfectly into Box X, while the very next day, he barely fits into Box X and seems to fit into Box Y instead. These kids will not be boxed in!

*le sigh*
    It's exhausting.

Age-Gap parenting a 2e 12-year-old and an 8-month-old
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by phroggy
    One day, my DS12 might seem to fit perfectly into Box X, while the very next day, he barely fits into Box X and seems to fit into Box Y instead. These kids will not be boxed in!

Same here - one day asd, one day adhd, one day vs learner and one day OE's....some of these, all of these, none of these. I did read a website that broke executive functions into different categories - I will try to find it and post.

Originally Posted by phroggy
    *le sigh*
    It's exhausting.

I have always loved the cat from the cartoon who *le pants* and *le mews* And for this I agree *le sigh* :-)

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by snowgirl
    That's an interesting question. If ADHD is one kind of executive function deficit, there is a chart in the middle of this article that you might find interesting re: vsl and adhd http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/george.pdf

Since people can be visual spatial learners without deficits, it would seem that visual spatial learning and having executive function deficits are two separate things. However, another interesting question is to what extent persons with executive function deficits are also VSLs, though I think the answer may yield more fruit if executive function deficits were broken down into different types. All right now I'm totally out of my realm. I recall there being an "expert" on EF here on the board somewhere, come out come out smile

Thanks for the link snowgirl! Glad to know my question was legitimate enough to warrant an article. Having just learned about VSL I figured it was a sophomoric question at best.

T
    T
    What great timing! I am currently looking having at having student re-evaluated. He has diagnosed EF issues, and had IQ testing done a couple of years ago. There are ADHD issues as well. However, I am dissatisfied with the results of the cognitive test which placed him squarely at average. Given the amount of time he spends not completing work and not attending to instruction (a consistent pattern for six years) someone of average ability "should be" quite far behind academically. However, while there are weak spots, he is decidedly not far behind. Any thoughts about a cognitive assessment that would be less likely to miss cognitive strengths in a disorganized, visual-spatial, finish-everything-in-his-own-time, kind of kid? The original testing was done through a neuro-psych and the report was thorough...I didn't know this child at the time of testing, I just know that the score doesn't mesh with the experiences I've had with him this year. If it helps, my recollection is that his percentile score on one of the block tests was somewhere in the 90s--a significant discrepancy with other scores.

OP Offline
    Taminy,

It is so great that as a teacher you are willing to look beyond the previous testing and other issues....can we clone you? :-)
    It does say on most of the VSL sites I looked at that a high block test does point to a vsl learner. Did you go to the link snowgirl listed? It has a chart listing what a vsl looks like, what adhd looks like AND what a vsl/adhd combination looks like.

OP Offline
    I am wondering too if there is a corresponding learning style to VSL that is kinesthetic. I know for myself I am definitely a big picture person but I am not visual at all. For instance, if I worked in a convenience store and got held up I would not be able to give a very accurate physical description but I would have a sense of whether the person seemed scared, angry or perhaps drugged out.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM