Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 273 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS 4 1/3 never been tested, but he is obvious GT, specially in numbers/math.

He started interested in clock/calender since 3 1/2. He can tell times to minutes and tell you have many minutes to go to certain time. he can read bus time table, remind me to be hurry up.

He also always knows what date/day is today, everyone's age and birthday, how many days to go to next Sat..and so on

Tonight, he said: "There is 7 days more to be next Friday,
    which is 30th April, and 1st May will be Sat."

That's pretty good, I thought

Then he said again: "31st May is Monday".

I checked the calender right away, mouth opened "It can't be!!How does he know it without looking the calender??"

Any HG+ kids love time/date too??What Age??

I have been struggle with Genius denied for about year,
    from normal to bright to gifted to bright to HG???and My husband still denied my son's ability, even he is grade 4 level.

M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    One more question

Many parents here to test their children atyoung age like 3 or 4, is very nesassary to test child if he/she is HG+??

I am happy DS follow the normal school routine, don't want to grade skip unless DS get trouble in school

At 3 was about the time dd7 was interested in those things as well, she just decided it's was time for her to learn how to tell time, the days of the week, months of the year ect... She would use a wall calendar and flip the pages to each month over and over again. The funny thing was that since she was already reading so well at this point I stopped her one time to say it from memory, so she said January, February, March, then she paused for a moment and her 18 month old sister (now 5)finished it up with the rest of the months of the year,lol. It was at that moment I realized I had two very smart little girls smile

To answer the second question, I had dd7 tested at 6yr 1mo and will be doing the same with my dd5, I was told by the person who did the test that this was a good age to do it at. I'm sure there are times when it is better to test earlier or later, but this did seemed to be a good age in my opinion. Hope that helps smile

M
    Mathboy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Skylersmommy

wow..thats amazing...

Don't you think it is bit scrazy..sometimes freak me out:-)

Well maybe not freaked out but taken by surprise, one of them would do something and I'd be thinking that can't be normal. And of course I was in denial for the longest time.
    It sounds like you have an amazing one on your hands too. You are going to have alot of fun, so enjoy the ride smile

N
    N
    My mother swears up & down that my MG sister could tell time perfectly before she was 2, but who knows. DD4 is still mostly uninterested, though she's been reading a digital clock for years. But we don't have an analog clock or a calendar. smile

As for testing, I think mainly people test before 6 only if they have some specific need for it (e.g., school entrance or suspected disability). Tests before 6 are generally not as reliable. I don't think testing before then is necessary in most cases, and we definitely don't plan to test before 6 (unless we get some sort of testing scholarship, LOL). I think the WISC will better capture DD's abilities than the WPPSI.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent