Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74389 04/19/10 04:59 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm looking over DS5's evals through the school district and am trying to determine whether we should follow up with his ped and ask for a referral (and to who...) based on his PDD Behavior Inventory (PDDBI) results.

He scored within the autistic range for Repetitive, Ritualistic, and Pragmatic Language Composite as well as on the Approach/Withdrawal Problems Composite. His Language scores and the overall Autism composite were in the non-autistic range. He also scored non-Autistic on the CARS (childhood autism rating scale). For the 2 composite he scored barely into the 40-60 point range of average autistic children.

So what type of dr is best to evaluate for autism? We can go to a variety of locations but wasn't sure if a neuropsych or developmental ped (or something else entirely) would be best. We're seeing his pediatrician tomorrow about the low muscle tone the APE person noticed in his lower legs so I can ask then for the referral.

The school psychologist does think some of the scores may be where they were due to being gifted in cognitive and academic skills. She does recommend looking into social skills programs and gifted programs, but I wasn't sure if we shouldn't follow up on the autism side of things.

Thanks in advance for reading my book, lol

D
    D
    Yes, your school psych is right: giftedness can alter the reliability of the testing. With what you described, I'd pursue the question of an autism diagnosis further. Knowing what you're dealing with is important, and you'll have a big job educating your school on how to support your child.

We got our best testing at the autism center of a children's hospital; they had the necessary expertise and experience where others had failed us. The gifted/autism combo is rare enough that not everyone knows what to do with it, how to test for it or how to treat it.

I would want the testing to be done by someone with years of experience with kids with Asperger's and/or high functioning autism; that person would probably be a neuropsych or a developmental pediatrician.

I would also want them to repeat some of the tests the school psych did; even a good school psych doesn't always administer tests correctly. And I would expect them to do at least two three-hour sessions with the child, including social and conversational observation, IQ testing, questionnaires about adaptive behavior and social functioning to parents and teachers, so that they have enough information to make an accurate diagnosis.

Here is another good message and information board: OASIS at MAAP, http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/ -- there is a lot of help there.

HTH

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks!! Your info is super helpful!

We're being referred to a neurologist for possible low tone issues - mainly trying to identify the cause. I think once I get that apt made (waiting on the ped to do the necessary referral to the children's hospital) I may just ask the neurologist about it and see if they will refer to either a neuropsych or dev. ped.
    His ped doesn't really think anything further needs to be done on this but I'm sure she will refer if I specifically request it.

Thanks for the further insight. I think I will keep track of this so I can refer back to it when trying to get an apt made!

C
    C
    We consulted a Pediatric Developmentalist for both of our children just to make sure things were on track (we had some concerns). She was recommended by someone I spoke with from the GDC, and we felt it was well worth it. She is a pediatrician with extra training in developmenal disorders, and sees quite a bit of autism in her practice. She also sees a lot of giftedness in her practice as well, which put us at ease because she "gets" that these kids can have all kinds of stuff going on that is fairly typical in the gifted set and isn't necessarily worrisome within that group.

From there, we received a report that detailed her findings, her suggestions for assessments from different areas of practice (OT, WISC-IV testing, therapy, and so on), and suggestions to help with some things that didn't require intervention. For example my youngest had really high visual perception skills, but his mechanics tested right at grade level so she suggested we teach him to type, scribe for him, continue homeschooling, etc.

My son was evaluated at a younger age than yours...he was 2 1/2. He had a team of a developmental ped, OT, and speech therapist get the diagnosis of "high functioning autism." Starting his therapies at that age was great since he caught up with his age mates. But in his case, his autism hid his giftedness and that was just documented officially this year in first grade. One person alone was not able to put together everything in DS's case. It has taken several teams and several years to get to what we have now: 2e gifted with Asperger's. I'm not convinced that this latest "diagnosis" won't change at some point either!! So my advice is to seek out someone who is experienced with the autism spectrum and someone experienced with gifted...like one of the posters above mentioned, it may be hard to get one person who is experienced with both in one package like my DS and possibly it sounds like your DS! Good Luck! Nan smile

B
    B
    Hi CoutneyB,
    If I remember correctly, you are in Tracy, CA area? We are in San Joaquin county also, and my DS9 was evaluated and diagnosed with ASD through Valley Mountain Regional Center in Stockton,CA.
    http://www.vmrc.net/
    They provide free assessment and diagnosis services, and if you are qualified, you get free ongoing supports and services.

My son was evaluated by his Developmental Ped, clinical psychologist and Pediatric Neurologist at first, but he did not meet the criteria for autism spectrum disorder. Since he was totally nonverbal at that time, and we desperately needed some kind of intervention(service) for him, we pursued further evaluations through them.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi Botchan!

We are in the Tracy area. We did deal with VMRC for my daughter when she was in Early Start, yet somehow I never thought of them for my son now.

Thanks for the insight, I will start looking there smile The neurologist he will be seeing is through CHO (Oakland children's) but that is just to try to figure out his low tone but I may just bring all the papers from the school eval with me.

Off to vmrc to look for info, thanks again!

B
    B
    VMRC's Autism Diagnostic Clinic offers comprehensive diagnostic evaluations. They closely work with your physician, school district, and local family support agencies for proper diagnosis.

My DS was given very thorough assessments in many areas, (Including psychological evaluation-WIPPSI-III) and it was all free. Our experience with them was very positive one.
    Good luck!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Botchan
    VMRC's Autism Diagnostic Clinic offers comprehensive diagnostic evaluations. They closely work with your physician, school district, and local family support agencies for proper diagnosis.

My DS was given very thorough assessments in many areas, (Including psychological evaluation-WIPPSI-III) and it was all free. Our experience with them was very positive one.
    Good luck!

Since he has no language delays they say they can't even assess him. I guess sometime last fall they were 'ordered' to handle only autism not aspergers. They were the only ones who were still dealing with aspergers so they needed to be more in line with the rest of the locations I guess.

We're supposed to see a neurologist soon so I'll just save up my questions for them smile

B
    B
    Courtney,
    I'm sorry to hear that they've changed the criteria. It's a "budget cut" thing. frown We got a letter from them not long time a go that they've changed some service eligibility also.

I hope the neurologist can provide some answers.
    Good luck!

P.S. I've heard that UC Davis Mind Institute offers evaluations. Just FYI.
    http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mindinstitute/clinic/

Last edited by Botchan; 05/01/10 10:52 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations