Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74516 04/20/10 09:05 PM
    OP Offline
    Anybody watching this? I thought it was interesting when one kid was diagnosed with Asperger's. Tonight, the boy's cousin was identified as gifted. (I missed parts of it, but I think the girl was having trouble in school, and was referred for testing.) I already thought the show had people in it that I know, but now there are even more reasons to watch! I'm liking that these issues are getting mainstream attention.

C
    C
    I've been dvr'ing it but have yet to watch anything more than the bits and pieces I saw of the first episode. I need to watch the first 2 online so I can then watch the rest I have on the DVR!

I haven't watched last night's episode, but yes... I've been watching it. My BF and I always end up talking about the Asperger child (Max). Is Max a good representation for child with Asperger? It will be interesting to see if they link the cousin's gifted with Max. I think they did a pretty good job of showing his high intelligence but haven't really come out and said gifted.

Since I haven't seen the last episode I am assuming you are talking about the troubled teen (Amber) and I hope they show her as a high risk and not an unusual situation due to her family life.

Ha, I was actually thinking about writing a post about this too. I enjoyed it also and I'm really curious to see where they go with it from here. It was nice to see how hard it was for them to tell the other family and rather telling how the family with the son with Aspergers were sort of joking about it afterwards. Although, I also wonder if he's 2E... didn't they mention that he was supposed to be pretty smart?

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I haven't watched last night's episode, but yes... I've been watching it. My BF and I always end up talking about the Asperger child (Max). Is Max a good representation for child with Asperger? It will be interesting to see if they link the cousin's gifted with Max. I think they did a pretty good job of showing his high intelligence but haven't really come out and said gifted.

I actually made a post asking just this in the 2E section maybe last week or so. I also wonder the same.

N
    N
    What channel is this on - and what time ? Thanks !

NBC at 10 pm Eastern Time. I like it because it's nice to watch after Lost. smile

I know Time Warner Cable has the older shows on demand.

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Since I haven't seen the last episode I am assuming you are talking about the troubled teen (Amber) and I hope they show her as a high risk and not an unusual situation due to her family life.

Actually, it was the little girl of the lawyer-sister and stay-at-home dad. I thought it was interesting that they showed that the boy with Autism and the girl had some traits in common. I also thought it was interesting that the psychologist told the parents that their child was different and that she was acting the way she was because she was bored in school, at that the parents would need to keep on top of this for the long-term. I'm hoping that they do a good, accurate job featuring both autism and giftedness. I've been impressed with what they've done so far!

She thought she could, so she did.
    P
    P
    http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/categories/season-1/1205879/

It looks like some of the episode are free on NBC online.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs