Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    My DS9 has been having a really rough year this year (he's in fourth grade). I have posted on other topics but not on this one becuase I have been trying to deal with the issues at school so that he could receive more and that it was not a wasted year - that hasn't happened anyways. My son has always been bright and was finally tested with the WISC IV test at the beginning of 2nd grade. His FSIQ was 141 and his GAI was 145. So between his pullout for G&T and some differentiation that he was receiving from his classroom teacher (which pretty much had to be hush hush) he was receiving enough for the time being. But the next year his teacher just didn't have enough time to work with him but tried her best to differentiate with different math homework for him - while he still helped the other children in the class. So it was really then that I started noticing the ADD characteristics. My husband was diagnosed with ADD only 4 yrs ago (he is now 52) and is on Concerta. What a difference but the habits are still there and they still cause a problem between he and I and as setting an example for our children. I am now seeing these characteristics in my son - forgetting homework, not being able to finish tasks completely, getting off track, not being able to give him more than one direction at a time, asking him to do something in the next room and finding him still in the same room examining something that he found. And he is SOOOOOOO disorganized - his room, school folders, desk, etc....... It is like taking care of ANOTHER child(which I know he is but I'm refering to his father! - along with 4 other children)instead of him beginning to become more responsible - which his teachers really do stress. It is creating problems between he and I because I am so frusturated and also with his schoolwork.

He is completely bored in Math and Science (EveryDay Math is killing him) but his teacher says that he makes lots of mistakes, gives up easily and sulks, doesn't try hard and just wants the answers given to him???? She says that he is always spacing out. She says the other children do not understand why the smartest kid in the class is acting like this and he needs to step up and be a role model. How much pressure is that on a 9 year old? He says that she thinks he should know everything and that he doesn't need to be taught. He wants the harder work but wants someone to show him how. He knows he can do it but wants to be given an opportunity and doesn't understand why they will not.

So I spoke to his G&T teacher and she shared with me that she also has ADD and wasn't diagnosed until later. However, she says many of my son's traits are those of Gifted children. She is going to come to a meeting that I am having with my son's math teacher on Thursday because she thought it might be beneficial. I have also read about visual spatial learners and he has many of those characteristics but not all.

So my questions are:

1. Do I have him tested for ADD and who would I go to? The school is useless and I wouldn't go there anyways.

2. If he were diagnosed do people recommend meds and what are the pros and cons (do they change their giftedness) because I don't know what else to do?

3. If I do not have him diagnosed what route should I take and does anyone have experience with this and does it sound like he may have it or is it just his giftednes.

Please help because I feel he is losing what he naturally has and his love of learning and it is hard to watch. Thank you so much and I am so sorry for the long winded post.

Jules

My DS7 was evaluated for ADD/ADHD by a psychologist who has experience with gifted kids. We originally saw this psychologist for self-esteem issues with DS and eventually consented to a formal evaluation for ADD which it turns out he does NOT have. The symptoms that appear ADHD in our DS were related to his autism spectrum disorder and gifted-ness. I do not know who other people go to for diagnosing ADD...this is just our story! Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM