Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Is this happening in your area? Our school districts are cutting busing to high school students and k-8 students who live within a certain distance from the school. We had a great plan in place for DS in 1/2 day kindy and afternoons at his old preschool's after school program. They were going to work on advanced academics in PM since our K is more social for him anyway. Now with his busing cut, how am I supposed to get him to an afterschool program? Other working moms switched quickly to private schools or the public schools offer a full day option for a tuition of $4.5k. I feel like they are a) punishing parents for a failed school levy b) forcing working parents to pay for an all day option. Is this happening around the country or just in our area?

J
    J
    There's been talk about cutting bus services in our area, as well. I don't pay too much attention to it, though, since DS doesn't ride the bus. When we moved here, I was shocked to find out that if DS was going to ride the bus, we had to pay for it at the beginning of the year. I've heard from some other parents that they dropped one of the trips (morning or afternoon) for their kids because the prices had gone up mid-year. Things are definitely much different than they were way back when.

C
    C
    It was a month into the school year before the city scheduled the busing for the area private and charter schools. Legally the city has to provide the busing. The surrounding suburban districts didn't have a problem getting the buses running from day one. I'm suspicious that its all about money.

DD ended up being the only elementary student from her school on her bus and the first AM and last PM stop. So we didn't do it. Driving to and from school takes up about 3 hours of my day. Blah.

Warning: sleep deprived
    J
    J
    I've read articles about school districts switching to a 4-day week and I've wondered about the implications for working parents.

It's a difficult situation for you, especially on fairly short notice. I do think it's happening all across the country, to some degree or another. I've also heard mention of kids having to pay to participate in middle school sports. I don't get that. Excluding kids from an activity at a public school based on ability to pay? So eventually the HS teams will be dominated by kids who had the "oppotunity" (money) to play in middle school? Whoa.

With overall lower compensation levels for a lot of people, and much higher child care/busing expenses, the work vs. not work equation is changing for a lot of people.

BTW - $4500 sound high. How many hours / days is that?

DD attends the district where DH and I work as teachers (a privilege of employment) not where we are zoned, so we all carpool.

But, in the district where we are zoned (and in which there are no direct GT services!) students have to live 2 miles or more away from the assigned school to receive a bus pass. We live within the 2 mile radius so she wouldn't qualify. Our assigned school is across downtown Austin from us; without a parent provided car ride, she'd have to walk over a mile through high rise buildings, busy traffic, etc. (But not uphill in the snow both ways, haha.)

Lots of kids in our zoned district use public transportation since there isn't enough money for safe transportation for all students.

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+
    They are discussing it all over our state. Cuts to education are v. deep and it is one way the BOE can cut costs. No one likes it, but they are trying to avoid cutting program.

States all over are nearly bankrupt, so I think we will keep seeing more education cuts for a while (I don't agree, but it is what it is at this point).

Most school districts could outsource their grounds and building maintenance and save a lot of money. Another area is cafeteria outsourcing. Another area is bus transportation.

Any area where their is a lot of hardware tied up that is only used for a few hours a day or a week is a candidate for this.

Another idea is for local districts to stagger their hours so they can use the same buses and drivers and thus split the cost.

Small changes in lots of areas can add up to a lot of money in the long run.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    It was a month into the school year before the city scheduled the busing for the area private and charter schools. Legally the city has to provide the busing. The surrounding suburban districts didn't have a problem getting the buses running from day one. I'm suspicious that its all about money.
    That's interesting - I think that's pretty unusual, for a city to provide busing for charter and private schools. This is the first I've heard of that. Charters are popular here but there's no busing to charters.

I'd guess that would be an area of the budget quick to get the axe, if they can managed to get your state(?) law changed.

D
    D
    Although it considered impolite and politically incorrect to mention, among the greatest drains to our school budgets throughout the state of IL are the educators� retirement benefit packages.

Teachers and administrators retire with 75% (K-12) or 80% (cc & U level) of last three years average income plus increases until they and their spouse die. In comparison, I believe 30% of end of career income is the average for US workers who are lucky enough to receive a pension.

Most people here do not quibble about the yearly 2% teacher pay increases (in addition to frequent step increases) and agree the average teacher salary seems strong, but reasonable (and the average administrator salary is too high). However, many people are completely unaware of the uncommonly generous pensions and health care plans, which directly translate to program cuts.

Since the teachers� union scored these rewards and as more and more educators are joining the retired ranks, there is less and less money to maintain current teacher levels or to put towards the students� other educational needs- despite higher and higher property taxes.

W
    W
    I was appalled when i found out that parents had to pay for bussing at our schools. That's only elementary. The high school kids have to get a monthly bus pass or get driven. That's $35 a month and there is almost no help for kids who can't afford it. It's ridiculous...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM