Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Oh, I forgot to mention...my daughter is also "meeting the standards". Thanks to NCLB.

Uh, CrazyDaisy, you are describing my child. Are you plagiarizing my life? smile
    We have to homeschool part time next year or she can't stay in school at all.
    At least we grade skipped a year, but it is still not working and most days she refuses to go. This week is actually better because they are doing standardized testing and it's a break from normal schoolwork. smile

Originally Posted by Val
    Our society has decided to focus on low achievers. ...

At the same time, everything and everyone else are being deliberately ignored. Millions of students are capable of much more, but aren't allowed to try.

It is just not about kids.

There is a segment of the the population in every nation that seeks to yoke the best and brightest to one group of people for the political benefit of yet another group of people.

B
    B
    Gosh, it's so eerie reading about my own kid in other people's homes smile.

My son was refused a grade skip (it was just a one grade skip, hoot) and is now subject accelerated for math. He says he has to shut down to pass the day and yup, he's become very vocal and chatty just to occupy his brain in school. The teachers say he's not a problem yet, but his classmates are annoyed - DS turns their names into limericks in a heartbeat to amuse himself.

We don't even have the option of private school frown. Our only alternative is to homeschool, but given our personalities, I'm increasingly reluctant. I'm not sure how he's going to last out the year ...

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    crazydaisy - Your DD6 sounds so much like my GD5 (6 next month) down to the classroom behavior. I looked up your original posts and was wondering if you ever got an IEP and how her test scores came out. Have they done anything to differentiate for her this year? The school keeps telling us that her behavior has nothing to do with her intelligence or boredom - really? I'd love to her more about your DD.

Oh dear GMF...don't get me started on my testing and IEP. Let's suffice it to say, that even with the testing...that doesn't guarantee that they can/will/or are capable of doing anything. I know I must sound a little jaded. It's been a bumpy (slightly understated) year for everyone. Seriously, I really do think the school HEARS, sees for themselves, and they just really don't know how to do it. They have the desire, well, I think they do. They just keep missing the mark. And in a current atmosphere of worksheets and standardized testing, anything else is far outside todays norm.

I'm working on figuring out next year. We are in a rural community with no other opportunities within an hour. Can I change the school without myself getting a teaching degree specializing in gifted education? I don't really know. I worry about 1st grade, where the classtime increases to 5-6 hours a day. If my result is a kid who's a behavior issue now, what will happen with increased time everyday to do worksheets? On the plus side, they can subject accelerate her in math and reading next year. But, does that mean harder worksheets or more inquiry, higher level thinking? I just don't know. Nor does asking the question get real answers.

So, jeez...I don't seem to have any feeling at all on the subjec t! laugh Ha! Listen to me rant. Can you tell it's a sensitive topic right now.

Long story short...they don't differentiate so much. The testing did accomplish the extermination of reading readiness worksheets and phonics. So, it's not all bad. They really are trying to figure it all out. I'm certain a gifted program would help, but it's non-existent.

Okay...now tell me your story! I would love to hear it. It makes me relieved to know all the others out there who have parallel lives and how you are finding solutions.

Blob,
    It's hard to have so few options, isn't it?

I may join a parenting gifted kids group an hour away, just to feel connected to people who may have more answers.

Let me know what works for you!

Last edited by crazydaisy; 04/20/10 09:47 AM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by BinB
    Maybe if your focus is on keeping the classroom orderly and conforming to standards instead of teaching the individual child, smart but efficient (lazy :)) kids like my son will do the bare minimum. I'm not sure exactly what's going on in class, but evidently he is not at all showing what he can do, probably because he isn't expected to. If he continues at this pace, he will indeed prove that "everybody catches up to the advanced children by third grade." And I think that would be a shameful waste of his ability.

Oh wow - you just described my son and his 2 year school experience so well. I have a kid that would not afterschool and would not show his stuff in regular school with any consistency. I'm so glad you have another option for next year.

For us it led to homeschooling, which has been a night and day difference. My DS does age appropriate work load and output. But can get input at the level he's ready for. He can also pursue his own interests. This morning he set up an experiment related to light and reflection because we've been reading about and discussing physics. Anyway, I hope your child's new school experience will relight his spark! Maybe a little time this summer to pursue his interests will help too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM