Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Just found this board and hoping to find some answers/guidence. I have 4 children, DD9, twin DD8, and DS4.

I would discribe DD9 as being "typical" gifted. She has that spark, constant need for more information, recogition by others in her class as being the smart odd child in the group. She's the one who was advanced as a toddler and we recognised that she was advanced beyond her age, but we have not pushed her abilities until now.

The twins were always more average, and being that their sister was advanced I as always worried with them at first, especially when they were speaking some twinish I was worried there was a language difficulty. Even this year I was worried about dyslexia, but they have proved me wrong and are just now starting to come out of their shell and school work is improving greatly.

My concern is this. With DD9 we had her tested in 1st grade for the gifted program. She didn't do as well as she could have because we didn't push math above her grade level even though she could handle it. Now the school system doesn't want to test her until 3 years after that first test, which won't come until next year. So we are having her tested with John's Hopkins CTY next month and are hoping to take this testing scores to the school to have her placed.

There seems to be very little gifted education in the system as a whole, with NONE in her school at all. I am worried that we will have to trudge though what the system offers until Junior High, seems like a waste of time. I wish I had time to homeschool them all but I work 3 jobs right now since dh is out of work.

The twins I want to have tested perhaps next winter and see where their talents are.

What do you all do in a system that doesn't have much to offer? Normally is there an option where you are to bus them to another elementary school? How well does acceleration help?

Sorry this post is so long, thanks if you read this far!

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    H
    H
    I have not been on here long, and certainly have not been great at getting schools to meet the needs of my dcs. I'm sure some on here have had more success than I have had, and they will probably have suggestions relating to how to work with your child's school.

In my family, we have learned and come to accept that we would have to provide 98% of the education my kids needed. This seemed especially true in lower school. One of my kids has done Stanford EPGY online (through their very expensive individual program) but we now have an ability to do the same program through epgy "Open enrollment" which is easier and less expensive by far (thanks to a very generous person on this board who devotes time to setting up the Open enrollment group). You can learn more by searching EPGY on this board. I think if you can sign your child up for something like that (epgy) it will be a good start. We looked into CTY (and my dc who tested there last year is now qualified for both verbal and math courses in cty), but that takes longer and is more expensive than epgy open enrollment.

Maybe it is because both dh and I are mathematicians by training (dh in topology and me in logic) that our kids are good at abstract reasoning (very good), and we find these strengths are not well represented among lower school teachers (although there are exceptions). We have had the experience that in grades 1 -4, the teachers have been totally unable to teach to these areas of strength in our kids. I find trying to get the schools to meet the kids' needs is an uphill battle, and for us it has been easier to assume school is more about social opportunity, and the real learning will take place outside of school. I've seen numerous gifted programs and honestly have never been impressed that they would be of much more help. There will probably be others on here who will disagree, and who may be able to offer helpful advice about such programs. Offering your child EPGY (which can be done autonomously by your child, without much time needed from you directly) and supplementing with good books at home (for your child to read) IMO will probably be better than 95% of the gifted programs available. That fits with our experience at least.

If others out there have had more luck with gifted programs, maybe they will be able to offer advice about obtaining such programming from the school. Good luck. It is all very frustrating, I know, but in my experience it does get a little easier when the kids are older, at which time they can assume even more responsibility for educating themselves.

OP Offline
    Thanks for responding. I did look up the EPGY, but it looks like there has to be 8 or more students that have to be interested. Am I wrong?

H
    H
    Search for epgy and "melmichigan" on this board, and you will find helpful info. You do not need to start your own open enrollment group. You only need to join one.

OP Offline
    haha, now that just makes much more sense after reading the posts on it, thanks for helping me lol

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM