Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We do pretty well in this area but we used to have more trouble. What helped here was definitely just not getting riled myself and using intparent's preface conversation and then a simple walk away with "Let me know when or if you need help."

M
    M
    It isn't the intelligence or necessarily the subject matter that is the issue it is the attitude where the issues begin. I love hs'ing my son, but his attitude / impatience / rudeness / and inability to accept mistakes makes me insane! Therefore we had to put him into a GT program in town. We are not happy with the program, he complains constantly about how easy the work is. As we see it he is backsliding, and gets away with doing just the minimal amount. It is really depressing for us, but I want to be his MOM and not someone with whom he takes out his frustrations on. He always appologizes afterwards, and he's commented that he doesn't know why he gets so upset with me, yet with his teachers in school he doesn't get angry with them! (I'm glad he sees this - but wish he could control himself - and not go for the Power Struggle)

I dealt with this for years and the only way I could even begin to make some sort of sense of my son's behaviour was to accept that I was his comfort zone. I was the one person he could behave in front of like this, to vent his frustrations with the world. Perhaps at the end of the day he knew the love was unconditional, mind you it didn't make it paradise for me!

When it came to frustration at home and the rudeness started I also would walk away, he would always come looking for me when he was ready. If the frustration was a result of school or some other outside cause, depending his mood when he came through the door, I would either listen without interjecting or let him stomp straight to his room. I would then just wait till he was ready to come out.

Best news is, he did outgrow it!grin

A
    A
    OK, I am going to TRY to implement these strategies:

-I will say "Let me know when or if you need help."
    -I will preface any session to help with, "I will look at this and try to help you IF you promise to be attentive and respectful while we work through it. If you aren't, I won't be able to help."
    -I will learn to walk away.
    -I will not engage in the Power Struggle.
    -I know he WILL outgrow this!

Thank you for all your suggestions, and knowing that we are not alone!

B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Tks for all the helpful ideas, intparent, Breakaway4 and matmum. It's good to know that the path well trodden comes with solid and sensible advice.

So far, my notion has been that my son needs a lot of assurance even while he's being rude - he needs me to be there or it's a complete meltdown, so I stay and get miserable. But he's older now. The preface can help. I must turn the entire mindset into one of getting him to collect himself before he can get help.

And matmum, it's nice to know kids do outgrow this behaviour. We need to help them manage their own intensities.

I
    I
    For me the hardest time to do this is when I am feeling the deadline pressure for an assignment more than D is. As an adult (and one who does not have any executive functioning issues, which she does), sometimes I can SEE that she is on a path for a late assignment. So I know sometimes that walking away may result in a late assignment if she can't keep moving on it, when she doesn't seem to recognize that probability. That is when I have trouble executing this approach... but I have learned that an argument/power struggle does not usually result in the assignment getting done any sooner anyway. So I try to stick to it (and, of course, encourage her to get started on things sooner). I find that reminding her that she is going to be late when she starts to melt down is NOT helpful, it just adds to the pressure on her. So I try to refrain...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM