Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74129 04/16/10 06:57 AM
    ebeth Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello Everyone,

I don't know if anyone else saw the program on PBS Independent Lens called "Between the Folds", but it was just mind-blowingly spectacular. DS9 and I sat completely glued to it!! It highlights the artistic aspects of origami, as well as the mathematical and scientific aspects of it. It even gives real world contributions of origami, such as how the folding of air bags affects their deployment or how the protein folding in cells contributes to aging.

It also highlights a professor at MIT, Erik Demaine. (44 minutes into the show) You can just see the light and joy of learning in his eyes when he finds an interesting problem to solve. I really wish he would write a biography or even a children's book of origami or mathematical games for gifted kids. He is such an inspiration, not for the fact that he is a successful professor at MIT, but more for his love of learning and the creative way his mind works. He was homeschooled as a child by his father who was a single parent. And he went to college at the age of 12. I felt like my son watched Eric Demaine on this show and realized that he was not so alone in the world. DS9 may be completely different from all of the other kids at his school, but here was another person who seemed to think in 3-D shapes and mathematical pictures. This show really brightened DS9's day and inspired him. Considering the fact that this kid hasn't been inspired by learning in months, I am profoundly grateful. Thank you PBS! I hope others enjoy this hour long documentary as well.

Here is a link to the show. Hopefully this link work or just google 'Between the Folds"
    Between the Folds| Independent Lens | PBS Video

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    O
    O
    thank you. I will watch that.

B
    B
    I've just watched it. Wow! It was truly amazing! Thank you so much for posting the link.

Last edited by Botchan; 04/16/10 11:21 AM.
    B
    B
    Tks for the link. I watched it and was amazed!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations