Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74127 04/16/10 06:44 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Do you think it's important to do Facts over the summer if it's easy for them. Or should I just give the kids a break from all that?

Totally easy, and they are way ahead? I probably wouldn't bother much, but my ds dumped all his math facts over last summer, so we are definitely going to be doing some reinforcement over this summer.

B
    B
    It's a proven fact that kids lose skills and fall back several months over the summer. While it might not be needed daily, refreshing every so often is never a bad idea. Our school actually gives the kids a math book that is a refresher for the summer to stay current and some of the teachers give a summer packet. It's not for a grade in the lower grades but they do have to show that they did it when school is back in session. the older kids may get graded on in it. I love that idea. I was thrilled to get something for the kids to work on over the summer! Why not make it fun and do computer math games to brush up on facts in your case. It's educational fun and that's the best kind you can get. Just my 2 cents

C
    C
    We are a homeschooling family, and this is our first year. Most kids do lose quite a bit over the summer, but not all. My oldest has NLD, so even a day or two of skipping is difficult. Our academic advisor completed her internship at my ds's old school, and she had mentioned how she had always heard that children lose information over the summer, but was shocked to see how much some of them really do lose. She felt that the ones that seemed to lose the most were ones that spent time watching tv, playing video games, etc. however.

I think that kids who are driven to learn (all kids are if given an enriching environment!), will lose much less than those spending the summer on their bums parked in front of a tv/game console. We cut out tv in January, and I'm amazed to see how much creative energy has replaced their desire to watch tv. They don't stop learning, they don't stop looking for answers to their burning questions, and my youngest who HATED to be read to as an infant/toddler/preschooler is now an avid reader.

I think if you're worried about the math facts going away because of a LD, you should continue to work through them over the summer. We play a ton of games in our house as part of learning, and my 5 year old absolutely loves Yatzee right now which is fantastic for reinforcing basic math facts. You could even make a game of war with a group of dice (like the cardgame).

There are a ton of really fun ways of reinforcing those skills that you may be worried about losing without invoking worksheets, or workbooks, or even making it seem like something academic. I have become the queen of disguising "academics" for my little guy because he is resistant to anything that looks remotely like schoolwork due to an extremely traumatic school experience.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM