Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    What an inspiring post. Big pat on the back for you!

M
    MNTCMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello, I would like to do a report back as of where we are.

On the subject of math acceleration, they decided to let him do independent study at his current school during math period. He got a 6th grade math text book. Every day, page numbers of daily topic and homework assignment are emailed over to school from a 6th grade volunteering math teacher. He finishes his homework and the school GT coordinator faxes it back to the math teacher. For the extra time he has during the math period, he gets to do EPGY. The math teacher visits him once a week. After couple visits he decided to help him cover the "gap" areas of 7th grade math (based on his acceleration assessment results) with the 7th grade math text book instead of ending the school year finishing up the regular 6th grade math curriculum. DS loves the interaction that he has with the math teacher. (I totally can feel the love of DS from that teacher after my meeting yesterday -- later).

Several weeks ago, while I was expecting more testing for his grade acceleration assessment, we were just informed of the decision that he would be accelerated to 6th (middle school in our SD) next year, as the WIAT-II results I shared with the school were accepted. The school GT coordinator and I actually had discussed about IAS during my request. I even got a copy through inter-library loan. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I went back for a meeting to discuss the process that they had gone through, and talked about concerns that I might have, and "signed on the dotted line". DS has been excited, to say the least ...

So yesterday was my transition meeting at the middle school, called upon by the current school GT coordinator. From the middle school principal and GT coodinator, it is a "no-brainer" to have the current math teacher as his home room teacher in the fall. The math teacher was genuinely happy to hear that at the meeting, even though DS will not do math with him then. DS will also be placed with 7th grade accelerated math, which is going to be algebra I, just as I have envisioned. Because the middle school is not our neighborhood one (2mile vs 4mile) to make busing possible, they even worked out an after-school care alternative at my request. I think his writing will be where he should be; while he can still be ahead in other subjects, he and I both agree that he should see how his 6th grade experience goes, especially with the connection now that he has established with that teacher. And the teacher teaches chess; DS is in desperate need of a chess coach.

Things are looking positive for us. I also know we will need to assess how his needs are being matched periodically. Two things I definitely will carry on from this experience are (1)speak up with gut feelings (2)keep the communication going with information and/or data. It is never too late for advocacy, OTOH, it also begs for perseverance of finding doors that let you in (teachers/administrators that understand the needs of the kid). I know it is still an adventure down the road, but I feel excited about it, and I can look at my past agonies with a smile. We are all here for a ride (of some sort) .

Last edited by MNTCMom; 04/15/10 08:40 PM.
    M
    M
    Read this and it made me curious as to how things are a year later. Hope all is well. smile

M
    MNTCMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    momto2ms,
    "submit" gave me a blank page, so hopefully I am not posting twice here. Well, in general, things are moving in the right direction. DS actually advocated for himself when he started math at middle school. Now he is taking Algebra 2. His HS classmates totally accept him and his teacher is just wonderful. Next year, he will also be accelerated in science. The middle school does not quite ability group for classes, but he does have other kids of similar ability in his classes. He still has behavioral issues, such as like being a class clown, too slow following instructions, "telling" teacher he is bored. I am working with him to get his personality and asynchronous development under control. Overall, the school works with me; but it is hard to ask every teacher to differentiate their teaching to match his ability, given 30+ kids on the entire spectrum of ability in each class. He and I treasure moments when he tells me he has learned something new at school when I pick him up after school. I am thrilled about how much his PE teacher adores him. DS is literally the smallest (i.e. age and size) in PE class, so maybe his effort really shows there, and his grade isn't shabby, either.

M
    M
    Glad to hear the update... We are in a similar place with dd9. She will probably be in a similar situation. They can work with her for 5/6, but by 7th grade she will have exhausted the middle school curriculum and will have to spend at least part of her day at the high school. How has your son managed the high school environment? That's my biggest concern... My 12 year old with 15-16 year olds.

M
    MNTCMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DS does his high school part first thing in the morning. Then he goes back to middle school for the rest of the day. The only HS students he has interaction with are those in his honors class. They sometimes work in groups and correct homework for each other. They actually like listening to his ideas when working in groups and accept him just as their regular classmate. But this really is not enough social interaction at HS for me to give you an accurate take. I think taking the classes with high school students will be just fine for your DD when the time comes, especially for STEM classes. (OTOH I even requested the MS to excuse DS for health classes).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM