Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #74068 04/15/10 11:29 AM
    D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    My son is 14 and is a classic *smart* underachiever. According to the standardized tests done when he was younger he is not gifted. The more I read and learn the more I am convinced he is gifted and is not being properly accommodated by the school.

I am waiting for his counselor to return my phone call and I am going to ask that she pull up all of his previous testing so that we can go over it and I am going to request an IQ test. The school has been going off of achievement tests and he is clearly a bored underachiever.

Can any one give me any helpful info to assist me in strong arming the school into testing him? Has anyone else done this?

PS I base my theory on the fact that I was gifted and was an underachiever, my 2 DDs are yet one still struggles in school, and my 3rd DD is highly gifted.....so I am not just pulling this idea out of thin air. I think at this point in his life it is crucial that we get serious and identify his strengths and weaknesses so that we can move him forward into a successful young man.

Advice??

Well, when you say underachieving, do you mean in terms of school grades? Achievement and IQ tests would tell you if he is gifted or capable of doing better. You could also have him take the SAT or ACT. That would be a quick way to get a snapshot of where he is and can be done without the school's involvement.

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Yes, I mean grades.

I was under the impression that achievement tests were designed to uncover what the children had learned...am I wrong?

D
    Dace Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Just had a nice chat with his 8th grade counselor. She is going to pull all of his previous testing for us to look at.
    She said that because he scores Advanced and/or Proficient in all of his State testing (CST?) they will not do any further testing on him....but at least if I can get a look at his file maybe I can come to some of my own conclusions and perhaps do some private testing.

Next year is will be going to a much more interesting charter school, so I think he will blossom there. But just in case, I really need to get my head around his strengths and weaknesses so that I can be a better advocate for him.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM