Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #73401 04/07/10 06:42 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    My DD8 is grade accelerated to 3rd. She just took the SCAT test and I got the results. She did not qualify for the verbal portion but did qualify for the quantitative. Her verbal scaled was a 428; even as a 2nd grader she wouldn't have made it. Do you think it is worth having her test again so she could qualify for some of the summer programs if she was interested in future years? Has anyone retested with SCAT and noticed an increase in test scores? I wonder if the test environment could have made her nervous, ie the computerized testing, older testers being there, she was the only child, etc. We always thought of her gifted area as being more the verbal area.

DorothyS #73404 04/07/10 07:09 AM
    N
    N
    I can't speak to how much of an increase you can expect from one year to the next, but I would definitely try again. I think that test-taking is a learned skill for most kids, and I'm sure that your DD will be more comfortable the next time around.

Also, keep in mind that the SCAT verbal test covers only one particular skill (analogies). That may not be your DD's strongest verbal skill, so don't assume that she is not gifted verbally just because she didn't as well on this one test.

Good luck.

NJMom #73408 04/07/10 07:29 AM
    A
    A
    Dorothy,

We are in the same situation, but haven't received the results yet. DS8 in 4th grade - but he didn't finish the Math - so I'm worried about the scores, and if we'll have to retest. Did you have to wait 3 weeks for the results?

DS had the same testing environment - and there was a lot of entering/leaving the test room, and starting new testers, all older as well. DS asked if he could go back and re-take just the math as it was easy but he just didn't finish it.

We'll see when the results arrive.

AZgirasol #73413 04/07/10 07:57 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    AZ, I actually got my results on line. She took the test on Friday and the results are already there. I was thinking if I was going to retest her, it might be advantageous to test her again this academic year as they do allow one retest per year.
    My DS would qualify for DYS with IQ testing and really wanted to do some achievement testing, but will need to wait until we can sign her up for Explore as other testing is out of our price range. I figured the SCAT would be good practice for her. I knew the test only tested analogies but was still hoping she would make it. frown

Last edited by DorothyS; 04/07/10 07:58 AM.
    DorothyS #73425 04/07/10 09:31 AM
    I may be of some help on this. DS7 accelerated to the 3rd garde took the SCAT a couple months ago. Math was great but verval was just below cut-off. So we re-tested, (He was not feeling well day of the test). On the re-test, he scored just hair higher perecent wise on Math, and exactly the same on Verbal. Short 5 points, which would have qualified him for summer courses had he tested as a 2nd grader. I contacted JHCU and explaned in an e-mail that he would have qualified as a 2nd grader for one of the summer writting courses we wanted to enroll him in. They agreed to allow him to enroll in the one course this year. Note the course was a 2nd/ 3rd grade course. This was a one time exception and if we wanted to do more he would have to re-test next year. I think ret testing would be my first choice, and if ovber 430 ask for an exception.

Edwin #73435 04/07/10 11:47 AM
    I actually had DS7 (1 year grade skipped to 2nd) retest a few weeks ago and he scored higher in both sections. The first time he tested (in November) he was recovering from the H1N1 flu virus. The first time he also ran out of time in the quantitative section because he didn't realize that he should not spend too long on one question if he was stuck and that guessing was ok. For us, the retest allowed him to get honors for qualitative and qualify for courses in both areas.

Crisc
    crisc #73468 04/07/10 07:19 PM
    B
    B
    I am having my DD8 (third grader) re-take the SCAT too. She barely missed qualifying in quantitative. She also did not finish and did not really understand that she needed to just guess and move on rather than struggle with a few questions. She just missed the cutoff and only (she told me) answered "30 something" questions, but she got 30 right. So I think with the experience of having done it once, she will do better the next time.

But she was happy because she gets to take the verbal course she wanted this summer. smile I just want her to re-test before she's a 4th grader.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    BethG #73473 04/07/10 08:16 PM
    J
    J
    We just tried the SCAT test DC6+ not quite 7. DC is 1 year accelerated. DC took the whole test without a break and finished. DC tried to get the person's attention but that person never went in to check DC -- in a room of adults. That made DC rather upset afterwards and DC never wants to go back there. (That is the only prometric in the area.) DC will probably be ok in a year. smile

I was expecting DC to get a high verbal score, which DC did, close but not good enough to take online courses. frown

Luckily, we easily qualify with the WISC-IV at Stanford's EPGY. So I think we'll be doing that instead.

However, I will definitely consider prepping DC more as now DC has some experience with a timed test. DC also knows about going back to review.

So, if it is what you want, I think definitely retest. It is good testing experience for sure. The second time must be easier because now they know what the test is like.

Good luck! smile

jesse #73487 04/08/10 05:31 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks everyone for your experiences with the retesting. My DD wasn't sick that day nor did she run out of time. I don't know how much of a change I can expect, but figured it might be easier to test her again before the end of May when the testing period ends as next year she would need to test on the 4/5 grade version.

The environment was a little intimidating I think for her with all adults, people coming and going during the testing, etc. She also did not take a break between sections as no one told her she could other than computer screen so she said she just sat in chair and stretched a bit then continued onward.

I don't know that we will take any of the their courses, but if we decided to I do like to have all the options open.

DorothyS #73949 04/14/10 08:36 AM
    RJH Offline
    Originally Posted by DorothyS
    AZ, I actually got my results on line. She took the test on Friday and the results are already there. I was thinking if I was going to retest her, it might be advantageous to test her again this academic year as they do allow one retest per year.
    My DS would qualify for DYS with IQ testing and really wanted to do some achievement testing, but will need to wait until we can sign her up for Explore as other testing is out of our price range. I figured the SCAT would be good practice for her. I knew the test only tested analogies but was still hoping she would make it. frown

How did you get your results online? I would love to know. DS took the SCAT last week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM