Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I don't understand why schools don't teach the meanings of the words "numerator" and "denominator". They don't mean "top" and "bottom"!

My kids were confused by the school's way of teaching this concept. I explained to them that the numerator enumerates or counts the number of pieces that you have, and the denominator names (from Latin nomen=name) the kind of pieces you have.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    the numerator enumerates or counts the number of pieces that you have, and the denominator names (from Latin nomen=name) the kind of pieces you have.

Wow, that is so cool! I never knew that, even though I always had a good intuitive grasp of fractions. Thanks!

S
    S
    I don't understand why schools don't teach the meanings of the words "numerator" and "denominator". They don't mean "top" and "bottom"!

My kids were confused by the school's way of teaching this concept. I explained to them that the numerator enumerates or counts the number of pieces that you have, and the denominator names (from Latin nomen=name) the kind of pieces you have.
    I agree that is a really great way to explain it! DD9 keeps saying "numberator" even though she knows that's not right. She'll be delighted to use some of the Latin she has learned (she learned numero recently though we haven't covered nomen yet). Thanks for pointing this out!!

Now why couldn't my teachers have taught me this? It is not a difficult concept, once I see it written here. Thanks Cathy!

W
    W
    JumpMath (www.jumpmath.org) used largely in Canada believes in introducing fractions before moving further along in multiplication/division. They claim they have data showing the importance of introducing fractions (including adding/subtraction fractions with different denominators) at this early stage, so that kids can have a better foundation early on in math. I was tempted to have my DS follow their curriculum. He could understand how to add/subtract one third to one forth. But, since his school doesn't introduce fractions until after long division and averages and EPGY doesn't introduce them until later, it was too much work to do myself.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM