Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 91 guests, and 59 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #73359 04/06/10 04:54 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi everyone!

I can't tell you how helpful this community has been so far smile

I did a search through this forum for "tic" and found that several people have posted about their kids having tics. We are new to this and I have some questions. DS just turned 5 and developed a few tics in the past few weeks:
    -sniffing (but this actually goes on year round bc of bad allergies)
    -intermittent humming sound
    -blinking a lot
    -a throat noise from time to time
    -mouth stretching which morphed into a gasp sound
    -most recently a quick lick of the fingers or hand (yuck!)
    He has no diagnosis but is in the HG range I believe and is quirky but not enough to seek an evaluation until the tics arrived. This time of year with allergies is HORRIBLE for him and I feel somewhat strongly there is a connection with the tic onset and allergy season. Doc is on board with increasing his hydroxyzine (antihistamine) and he is also on:
    -probiotic
    -good multi
    -B complex gummy
    -magnesium
    -"Tic Tamer" which is homeopathic and not really working at all
    -Omega 3.6.9 Nordic Naturals
    Has had tics now for 2 1/2 weeks

My questions:
    1. Is there any connection to tics and gifted kids?
    2. Any others have experience with a tic-allergy connection?
    3. Anyone have experience with 5yo vaccines and tic onset?
    4. Does anyone have any advice for me at this early stage?
    5. If I go to a ped neurologist what would they do?
    6. If anyone has had success with fish oil did they use a higher dosage than what is recommended on the bottle?

SO sorry this is so long. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INPUT! smile smile

Last edited by surfbaby; 04/06/10 04:54 PM.
    V
    V
    Tics are common amoung many boys. I have noticed that several of us have mentioned tics and gifted. You need to begin to record when these different tics begin. If it is tourettes( my son's dx) there has to be a history of at least a year of tics being present. Try to note when and where, is it in stressful situations, or very relaxed. They though my sons initial tics were due to allergies as well. The motor tics and mouth stretching are not typical of allergies. Right now my son is on no meds but the school has an IEP to accomadate his ticcing in class.

Our DS 7 has tics, kind of scary for us a parents. They seem to come and go, and may be stress related. Change in enviroment may be one trigger for them. He had an eye rolling one, that progresivly became worse then faded away. Next came lip moving, still kind of their but now not very often. We did see a ped neirologist. (Tics where not showing much that week) He stated it was just tics and thier was nothing they could do. Most out grow it. Not easy for us as parents to hear, especially because these where facial tics and may make him stand out in school. To our surprise school hardley noticed. We still are expecting some new ones to develop in the future. I also noticed that both tics seemed to start with an OCD type of behavior. The eye rolling came about because of his hair getting in his eyes. Even after the hair cut the behavior continued. The lip moving, after chapped lips. And even some head rolling a few yeras back with, long hair again. I am not sure if any of this helps, the good news is that it did slow down and somewhat go away over time. I hope this helps. His typical time frame for a tic was about 2 months.

Last edited by Edwin; 04/07/10 09:45 AM.
    V
    V
    Yes this is called the waxing and waning of tics. The tics may evolve and change over time. Edwin it sounds like your son has motor tics. If tics become severe, which they can there are meds to address the different components whether OCD, tics, or ADHD elements. It is a matter of what is the biggest issue. They do believe that many kids either stop or slow ticcing in late teens. The worst is usually between 8 and 12. Oh yeah my son is 9 next month.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...