Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #73235 04/05/10 02:16 PM
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS9 said something the other day and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard something like this. He said that he sees everything in blue and orange sometimes. I don't think it's anything like color-blindness or synesthesia, but since it's not the first time he's said it, I'm curious about what it is he sees or how he sees it (ie. does everything just have a subtle hue to it?). He's had a thorough eye exam pretty recently, so I don't think it's a problem there. Could just be the way he sees the world, but now my curiosity is piqued.

Any ideas?

Just a guess, but it sounds to me like he might be describing light/dark adaptation? I remember noticing this as a kid, particularly when one eye got adapted differently than the other (e.g. lying on my side in the grass on a sunny afternoon, so that one eye was in shade and the other in sun). Not only did the world look darker through one eye (the one that had been in the sun) but the color spectrum looked different.

Another possibility is that it might be mild "color blindness." He might be a partial dichromat (I don't know if such a thing has been documented, but it seems like it could easily be possible), or an anomalous trichromat (those people have all three color receptor types, but one of them responds to a different wavelength of light than normal).

But I think it's informative that he says he "sometimes" sees this way. That suggests that something changes (in other words, it's a transient effect). If he saw the world that way all the time, he wouldn't really know to describe it that way. He would just think that's the way everyone saw it.

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for the info and pointing me in a direction. I was having a hard time finding the right descriptors to find the info I wanted. Much appreciated!!

I'll have to see if he can describe in more detail what it looks like when it occurs.

Thanks again.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM