Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    slhogan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Can anyone verify this for me:

After 6 months of saving my pennies, a few weeks ago I finally paid a private tester to purchase and administer the WISC IV. She has used the WISC in her practice for many years and did not expect any problems.

Anyway, the tester called me today and apologized. She said she has been on the phone multiple times this week with the Pearson company. My tester said that Pearson recently acquired the WISC IV and their policy is to sell the WISC IV only to public schools and not to private testers.

This sounds bizarre, but my tester was very sincere in her frustration. Has anyone heard of this policy change?

C
    C
    According to the Pearson web site where it can be purchased:

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/H...il.htm?Pid=015-8979-044&Mode=summary

what's needed is what they call "Qual C", i.e.:
    "Qual C: Tests with a C qualification require a high level of expertise in test interpretation, and can be purchased by individuals with:

* Licensure or certification to practice in your state in a field related to the purchase.

OR

* A doctorate degree in psychology, education, or closely related field with formal training in the ethical administration, scoring, and interpretation of clinical assessments related to the intended use of the assessment."

I saw no sign of restricting sale to people in schools, though, and that sounds most unlikely. (Why on earth would Pearson do that?! They are out to make money...) ETA: I don't mean to suggest that your tester is lying, but I do wonder if there's a miscommunication. Maybe she should try registering her qualifications on their website and ordering online?

Last edited by ColinsMum; 03/25/10 02:21 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    R
    R
    My son was once given the WISC as part of an asessment paid by for the school district. The woman who came to our house was a school pychologist and was fantastic. But i did notice that she had only a masters degree listed on her credetials. I think it is possible to only hold a masters and be a school psychologist. Maybe it is something like this that is going on?

A
    A
    renie1 I think is right. i had wisc iv given by private licensed psych. recently.

S
    slhogan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    This would be a very recent change-- like just a couple days ago. My tester said she has never had trouble ordering it in the past but the policy change apparently just happened.

I find it hard to believe also but have no reason to doubt my tester-- especially since she spent a lot of time on the phone with Pearson trying to work through this. Very weird.

R
    R
    that sounds horrible for the private psychs out there who make their living from this type of thing. Could it be there is a new version coming out so they want to stop supporting this one? not that i've heard this, just a thought.
    irene

S
    S
    Why would they intentionally limit their market? That makes no sense...

ETA: I will be plenty angry if this is true. We had three of our kids take the WISC privately a few months ago, and plan on doing it again in two years.

Last edited by snowgirl; 03/28/10 06:33 AM.
    C
    C
    Not to question your tester, but I too find this very difficult to believe. I went on their website and put a copy of the WISC-IV into my cart as if I was going to buy it. It gave me a link to a form asking me to fill out the form and return it showing exactly what colinsmum put in her post above: that I had a doctoral pysch degree or one of the other qualifications listed. There was no mention of my needing to work for a school. In fact, the WISC-IV was for sale on their website under the psychology & counseling link (the area for private psychs to buy things).

I'd call them directly myself and ask if what you were told was accurate.

S
    slhogan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Update: My tester called and said the test was shipped to her. She called to find out what happened and Pearson just told her there was a mistake earlier. I'm guessing her account got put into the wrong category or something. Who knows.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations