Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Recently, the psychologist who tested my three oldest kids (9, 7, 7) emphasized that in spite of their language processing issues, they ought to have the opportunity to do some sort of summertime gifted programming, especially if it involves math. She gave us a list of programs that she keeps on hand. However, none of the programs will work for us (many of them are out of town, for starters, or just too far of a daily drive, or having entry requirements that my kids will not meet).

Currently they are in a montessori charter school, which while not perfect, seems to be going well. After our latest round of conferences, the teachers all seemed willing to both help them with their language issues and move them forward with math, which is a strength for each of them (e.g. ds7's first grade teacher agreed to teach him multiple-digit multiplication and long division, since he does some of that anyway).

So I'm not looking to homeschool full time at the moment. But I've been reading a fair amount about it and it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps their weekday summer activity (besides more swimming lessons and generally playing otuside) could be homeschooling? Except I'd have to call it something else?! We already started Latin (Getting Started With Latin) and have some Fred books. So I'm thinking that Latin and Life of Fred - Fractions ought to be enough (if I can get the younger two up to speed on long division first; or else I could come up with some other math instead of LOF), plus regular reading. DD9 moves more quickly through material than her younger brothers, but probably still needs to cover the same material - it's hard to really know what they've done in the montessori curriculum. (Oh, I guess we'll be continuing language therapy over the summer but I'm having a feeling that I'm wasting my money with that. Not sure.)

Anyway, can I really make homeschooling these two subjects a fun summertime activity? They seem to like Latin so far, but still it requires them to use their brains - occasionally they (esp. one of my ds7's) resist things that require actual thinking. Any thoughts or suggestions? If I have to bribe them to do it (point system or whatnot), does that mean I shouldn't do it? For example, we have a rule that they must practice piano before playing Wii - I could make the same rule re: these subjects.... I so think that their minds need continuous stretching that I'm willing to do it that way.

LOL Kcab! As I always said when I was an afterschooler/summer HSer, these kids pull us along...we don't have to push!

M
    M
    That's how we got started! grin

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    C
    C
    Do you have a good science museum anywhere near you? While it is an hour commute, I just joined the Denver Museum of Nature & Science thinking that we could use some of the exhibits as educational enrichment activities if I design some lesson plans around some of the stuff they have. For instance, you could use an exhibit like the hall of health to learn math concepts related to blood flow, etc.

I agree with what you said in your original post that it needs to be fun activities for the summer or your kids might feel like you are trying to keep them inside doing school work all summer.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by kcab
    We've used Life of Fred for a relaxation/enrichment activity this winter, so I could imagine it working for you this summer. I think one of the big pluses of camps is getting together with other kids who are interested in the same things, but maybe your kids already have enough of a built-in group?

I was inspired by some of the homeschooling/challenging kid enough/HS workbook threads into making a few language arts purchases. Thought we'd do them this summer, but DS saw some of the stuff and wanted to dive in with cursive and grammar. Which of course means I'll just have to buy MORE stuff for summer, no doubt.
    You're right about the one part that one of the advantages of camp would be getting together with other kids. I don't think that's a huge issue for my kids right now - one of them is buddies with some bright boys, one of them has her little group of friends close to home, and the other one, well he's super introverted so I don't know whether he would actually make friends, but who knows.

As for the purchases, I keep buying more and more stuff, and wondering when we're going to use it smile. I have several general homeschooling books, only some of which I've read. I have some LOF books - I bought the first one, and ds7 has read it through a couple of times for the story only. I have no idea whether he's picking up any math along the way, but he needs more foundation first. He begged me for the next one, the one about decimals, and he's read that one too. His twin brother loves math, but is apprehensive about the reading aspect - he's come a long way, I think he'd be fine with it. He's read a couple of Murderous Maths books, so of course I keep buying more. DD loves math but hasn't seemed interested in LOF yet. For her math seems to be getting her to see things from the correct angle, and then she has sudden light bulb moments. I love finding cheap used books on line smile

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Do you have a good science museum anywhere near you? While it is an hour commute, I just joined the Denver Museum of Nature & Science thinking that we could use some of the exhibits as educational enrichment activities if I design some lesson plans around some of the stuff they have. For instance, you could use an exhibit like the hall of health to learn math concepts related to blood flow, etc.

I agree with what you said in your original post that it needs to be fun activities for the summer or your kids might feel like you are trying to keep them inside doing school work all summer.
    I think I've been a little mixed up in my head and this thread is helping me to get straightened out. There are two things I'm trying to accomplish, and I think it's best if they occur through separate means. First, there are things I think the kids would enjoy learning that are not being taught to them in school for whatever reason (mostly math; the latin is another story :)) . Second, of course, is to do fun and interesting things. The Denver Science and Nature museum is a great idea - thanks! (I'm having a "duh" moment.) I could do that once every week or two; I have a college student helping me out this summer, to watch the little ones, who will be turning 4, 2 and 1; though I guess the 4 y.o. will be coming with us on outings. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before - I guess because it's usually DH's department (this is only the second summer in five years that I'm not nursing a newborn or about to have a baby). But we're only about 35 minutes or so from that museum, so it's do-able. DD's latest proposed career is scientist, so I'm sure we can find something there of interest. We'll be spending a lot of weekends in the mountains too - I usually bring a giant bag of books back and forth.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM