Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #73027 04/01/10 06:40 PM
    OP Offline
    Hi all

dd7 is always diligent about doing all her homework and I have not run into any problems with her doing her work, she is in 2nd grade. This week she was suppose to memorize a poem (about 20 lines long) something that would have taken 20-30 minutes for her to do, 45 min for her to say it well and with expression. She flat out refused to do it. Then I found out the reason why. The teacher was going to pick someone from the class to go to a speech meet. She didn't want to be picked. I told her do the assignment and I'll let the teacher know that she doesn't want to do the speech meet if picked. She still wouldn't do it saying if you are picked you have to go. Has anybody run into stuff like this?

A little bit of info on dd, she is not a shy child and she's been on a stage many times for programs at school and for a dance production team she's a part of. If anything she's competitive, so it surprised me that she didn't want to try to do this or a least just learn the peom.

Maybe I'm trying to read more into this than it is, but it just seemed like odd behavior for her.

thanks for any input

B
    B
    I think I'd try to find out more about why she doesn't want to do it. It may have nothing to do with performance, but rather someone else that's going, or fear of the unfamiliar/unknown, or some misunderstanding about what such an event entails. Or maybe it's the solo performance - has she only done group events in the past?

Maybe she doesn't want to be singled out for something academic. I could see how, if she was already labeled the smart girl in the class, that she might not want to contribute to that perception. Does that sound like her situation?

She thought she could, so she did.
    OP Offline
    Thank you for your responses. I know this is such a minor thing it just bothered me because it's so unlike her.

She wants to be picked to do the spelling bee this year, so I don't think it's unfamiliar/unknown. I'm almost wondering if it's because she wanted to let one of her friends in class win, because that child really wanted it, and it wasn't as important to dd.

Thanks again

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM