Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #73020 04/01/10 04:35 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have two boys Jacob who is 7 and Tyler who is almost 2. Jacob was diagnosed in September of last year with Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, and OCD. He is also highly gifted, he has skipped one grade and the school is pressing him to skip another (the school did test him and according to them his IQ is 148). They refuse to acknowledge the TS diagnosis and the aggressive, impulsive behaviors that are associated with the TS. The say that there is no gap between his performance and his ability so he was denied an IEP and they also denied a 504. He does have a behavioral PEP but that's it. What can I do to get the school to stop pushing the grade skipping and get them to assign him a teacher who is willing to teach him? Yesterday we had a meeting and I said that I wanted a teacher who would nurture him and help him and challenge him and they said "you want someone who will go the extra mile". I said nope I want a teacher who knows that they must teach all the kids in their classrooms from their low lows to their high highs. As a teacher I know that you now have a wide range of abilities in your classroom at any given time and it�s my job to accommodate and differentiate for all my students. Any ideas on what I can do? I'm at my wits end with his school.
    Thanks,
    Becky

L
    L
    I don't have the experience of special needs that you have, but I have asked a school for exactly the same thing some years back - please just teach my kid in his socially appropriate class. I have since learnt how this just isn't the done thing in most U.S elementary schools. To us, what might seem a very reasonable request, is to many teachers/schools something quite alien. I wish you so much luck, but want you to be aware that the school's attitude is quite genuine, and that you are proposing a scenario of 'extreme' differentiated teaching that many educators are very uncomfortable with.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    The only reason why we hesitate to skip again is because he's so impulsive and aggressive, and as he gets older his tics are getting worse and we fear for him being with kids that are three and four years older. He isn�t very modest and has virtually no filter and we�re afraid that one day one of these kids will haul off and hit him. He's got sensory issues as well so when he melts down it's not good.
    They've also suggested curriculum compacting (which we said okay to) but so far we've not seen it being done. We've also suggested that he stay with the teacher who he's going to 3rd for this year (she's looping to 4th with her class last year)and still be classified as a 3rd grader but doing the 4th grade work with her and then re-evaluating him at the end of next year. I will look into getting that book, anything that can put us in the right direction for him!
    Thanks!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks everyone! We did have ARC come with us to the initial IEP meeting where the 504 was denied that was only in Dec of 09. She didn't come with us to the meeting where they denied everything but recapped it for her and she called and spoke with the principal after which she emailed and said that according to the principal he only gets in trouble when he's not stimulated enough so everything�s fine. I asked her again about a 504 and have not heard from her again. It�s just so frustrating because I get the feeling that the principal wants him out of his school so Jacob becomes someone else�s problem. I will head to the library and see what I can find.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations