Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    This is So funny to read! DS7 has been fascinated with calculators for as long as I can remember...when he was 2, I would keep 2-3 different small ones in my purse and whenever we were out and he needed something to fiddle with, he would grab the calculators and just sit there and explore. When he found DH's Scientific Calculator you would have thought it was Christmas. He also LOVES dice...the cooler shaped/colored/larger numbers the better...he makes up tons of games with them.

My son's massive obsession is maps and graphs...maps of any kind, you name it, he loves them. At last count we had over 100 of them - regular city ones, park ones...you name it. He will just sit and draw his own. We went on a field trip the other day (we homeschool)to a water treatment plant and he was totally fascinated with the graph computer read-outs that were showing from the biological tanks and he wanted to know what each color of the chart/graph meant. I remember the engineer just looking totally confused as to why this "little person" wanted to know exact details and numbers.

Belle #69554 02/23/10 01:50 PM
    M
    M
    This is great! DS9 was/is obsessed with maps too. We have maps of the world and the US on his walls, when we travel he collects maps from our stops, at amusement parks he gathers the maps up and memorizes them, a favorite toy when he was little was the Leap Frog Globe, he will pore over street maps, and family members send him maps from their travels as souveniers!

We don't have an obsession with pencils or calculators, but there is a strong preference for mechanical ones. Although, if given the choice I don't think DS would write at all. He can't wait for the day he doesn't have to handwrite anything and it's all on computers.

B
    B
    Oh glad to hear we are not the only map crazy family :-) His whole wall is covered in this giant map mural of the world and we literally have baskets and baskets of maps. Where ever we go and there is a map, it is coming home with us :-)

J
    J
    Originally Posted by PurpleHeather
    But the real obsession for my guys (DH & DS6), is anything miniature. It doesn't matter what it is, but the smaller & more detailed the better. We have considered setting up a miniature Christmas tree just because of this. DS is the same with this stuff. Anything mini and his whole demeanor changes while he tells you how tiny & cute it is.

THIS IS ME!!!

My mom works for a cleaning supply company, and I go CRAZY when she brings home the sample cans of this or that product because they are minature. I still have many miniature items I collected all throughout childhood. My husband thinks I'm a freak. Now I can tell him it's because I'm gifted. smile

JJsMom #70927 03/10/10 11:28 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I'm reposting for by LBLCMama, who is asking about obssessions.

L
    L
    Thanks, onthegomom. smile

O
    OP Offline
    O
    You are welcome.

C
    C
    My youngest (5) is obsessed with locks and keys. He has a huge key ring with different types of keys, and he will stop and touch locks that grab his attention. He also loves safes, lockboxes, and handcuffs as well.

My oldest (10) is completely obsessed with Star Wars, and has a ton of those little figures, books, etc. He's also obsessed with giant squid, and octopi. He has had these obsessions for at least 5 years.

J
    J
    I first began to realize my son's quirkiness may actually be giftedness when he began a real interest in birds and bird books at age 5. He has Sibley's Field Guide for the Eastern and Western United States. Then he has Sibley's complete guide to bird behavior. He wants to BE Sibley when he grows up!

I've realized, though, that his interest does not just lay with birds and nature - he is curious about everything. So now rather than pushing or encouraging solely ornithological stuff, I am trying to help him broaden his interests.

But it all started with a Sibley Field Guide book and he didn't put the book down until he knew the wing spans of birds, the shortest bird, the biggest bird, and the bird sounds also.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM