Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #72747 03/28/10 08:57 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm so sad frown My local school decided to do all day K starting next year (almost 2 months after registration which makes it worse). I don't want my daughter in all day K! It would have been horrible from my son and I'm pretty sure it will be close to that for her.

We do so much at home after he gets out of school, it stinks that I won't be able to do the same for her. THEY say it helps the kids (blah blah blah) but for mine anyways it will take away the ability to do more afterschool stuff: less accelerated academic time, no dance class, probably no swim class, maybe no gymnastics, etc. It is most definitely NOT beneficial to us!!

There's no half-day option available, I guess? At another school? A private school or church preschool?

Is K required, or could you un-register her?

I'm sorry. All-day K would have been lousy for our kids, too. frown

Kriston
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    All schools in our school district (4 k-8 schools) are going all day K. There are no other options in our little 'planned community'. I'd have to take her 20-30 mins away to go to even a private option frown

Since we're planning on using k12 through CAVA (I think...) I'd do K at home with her but she really wants to go to school for K like her brother did. She's not as ahead as he is but is fully capable of doing the majority of the work he brings home so she's going to be not learning a lot and I don't see how full day will do anything positive about that frown

I've been trying to get the school to do something for DS since October. All that has happened is he takes occasional AR tests, does some 1st grade challenge work (2-3 pages a week), and apparently reads to his class at library time on Fridays (lol, I just found that one out last week).

I just don't see them being any better with DD next year. But I guess I'll start off getting challenge work for her right away!

Did I mention that they are STILL focusing on specific letters each week? And counting to 30? There are exactly 2 months of school left, 1 week of which is spring break. DS is at 2nd-3rd grade lvl so not getting much at all from school.

Ok I'm done venting - for now at least, lol.

Will she still want to go to K if she knows a) that it's not the same as her brother's experience, and b) what she'll have to give up if she goes?

I'm thinking she might not be as fired up about it if she gets the details. Often when I'm facing a decision I don't love, I give my DS/DSs the pros and cons and see what he/they have to say. Sometimes they decide that what they thought they wanted doesn't sound as good once they understand the whole reality of the situation.

Kriston

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM