Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 222 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Update on the Wii. He has a 7 yr. old friend who comes over every so often (his mom and I are great friends.). My DS and his friend were allowed to play Wii Mario all night one evening when a friend of ours was in the hospital and the dads were in charge. They made it through all 8 worlds, only to discover there is World 9, but frankly he is not as obsessed with it anymore. I never thought any good could come out of an entire evening (I mean HOURS) of Wii Mario.

The lying he did came with big consequences, but we got past it.

Hi Eleanor05 -
    What about the classroom behavior, and your thoughts on a gradeskip?

I love that you were able to capitalize on Mario while he was interested.

I think the thing is that Intense Gifted kids do what they do Intensely. And of course, video games are designed to be absorbing.

Mario's 'Worlds' are a specific example of the general theme of 'Levels.' Boys who are drive to demonstrate their Mastery tend to get hooked by the idea of 'Leveling Up.' This has become a central metaphor at our house. Most games also involve a 'grand finale' battle at the end of each level with a character who is generically known as the 'Boss' of the level. More good grist for the Metaphor mill.

One thing that attracts my son to these activities is the clear validation he receives when he beats the Boss and Levels up. I try to look at the bigger picture of his live to see if he has other avenues to receive validation.

One would think that school would be very validating for a gifted child - and for optimally gifted kids it very often is, but.....many year that my son was in elementary school it was just the opposite. For my son, this was exacerbated by the nature of his giftedness - he was thinking abstractly very early. And that is just a 'time waster' for many busy, stressed Elementary School teachers. We parents find it wearying too, yes?

So Validation and Accreditation.

Sleep well,
    a very sleepy grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Eleanor05
    The librarian at their school won't let Kindergarten students check out anything but picture books from an approved section of the library (what a joke! His teacher talked to the librarian and she stands firm on her rules.) This week he brought home a book titled, "Me Hungry". There were two words on each page and we ended up reading it to his two year old brother who ended up memorizing it. My son used to love to read this magazine he subscribes to, but now won't even read the captions. He used to read chapter books at the 2nd/3rd grade level but now refuses.

My DD is in Kindergarten now and she told me that she was only allowed to borrow books from easy reader section. I wouldn't mind because she only borrowed one book per week from school, but she reads many chapter books at home. Some are 4th/5th grade level. She still enjoys reading picture books a lot though she started reading chapter books at 4. My DS8 has 8th grade reading level, sometimes he enjoyed picture books too. I don't mind they "dumb down" occasionally. That makes me feel they are just my little angels. I don't need them to grow up too fast.

Have your son select anything he wants to read. All you can do is providing tons of different topics and levels of books for him to choose. My son has never read a book higher than 6th level, but he is still getting progress.

Originally Posted by Eleanor05
    Also,(and this will be hard to admit to this forum!), we have a Wii gaming system that has been fun for the whole family, but he has become OBSESSED with a game he was given at Christmas time, Super Mario Bros. We limit the time to 30 minutes a day and he is allowed to play more on Saturday mornings. But I'm telling you he is obsessed. When he's not playing it, he is playing make believe games where he is in Mario World. His teacher tells me he has made up a Mario game the kids play at recess, and he talks about it all the time.

LOL~LOL~LOL~ I just cannot stop laughing when I see this. My DS is OBSESSED to video games since 3 years old. When he was 3 and 4, he knew his hand-eye coordination was not good enough, he forced me to play. He read game guide when we were shopping at Target. He watched me play and told me where the secret entrance was and how to beat the boss. When he was in preschool, he was talking his made up video game to his teachers. At home he talked to me or any adult he met. He didn't want to discuss his game with kids because he said they couldn't understand him. Before he learned spelling, he drew lots of maps of his game levels and wrote LV.1 LV.2 LV.3...... Now he is in second grade and only shares his game ideas to me because he doesn't want anybody thinks he is weird. His Super Mario Cart Adventure has been our evening chat for months. Sometimes I told him I cannot focus on his talking because I have something to do. He said he doesn't mind as long as he got someone to talk to. Every Halloween I had to make costumes for him because usually I couldn't find video game character's costumes for kids.

The real video games (Nintendo Wii, DS, and computer) are still his favorite but I set limit for him. When he got his job done early, he got more play time. I cannot take video game away from our family because we parents love to play them too. At first I was worry about his GAME OBSESSION too but I figure out some kids are very into trains, cars, dinosaurs, Legos. They are the pretty similar situations. I don't think the Wii games dumbed him down but set restriction is necessary. My DS can play for hours if nobody stopped him. I talked to him it's not healthy to his eyes and body to play video games for a long time. Observe your DS one or two more months. Good luck for grade skipping.

Originally Posted by BooBoo
    When he was 3 and 4, he knew his hand-eye coordination was not good enough, he forced me to play. He read game guide when we were shopping at Target. He watched me play and told me where the secret entrance was and how to beat the boss.

I used to end up in similar circumstances when DS13 was 3 and 4. He would sit in my lap and 'demand' that I draw pictures. I don't know what's weirder -
    a) that he would care
    b) that I would do it
    c) that I wouldn't really think much of it - it was just clear to me that that was what he wanted.
    d) I had no idea that this was part of the whole gifted package.

Thanks for the reminder. Those were sweet times.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM