Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    NCPMom #72342 03/24/10 07:53 AM
    T
    T
    Well, now I'm depressed. Here's DD9's 3rd grade list for the week, and bear in mind that she's in the top spelling group:

away, before, again, because, ago, between, around, begin, believe, about, alive, become, beyond, ahead, beside, across, below, asleep, afraid, began, behind, above, along

They can be tested on any 10 of the above words. I think we're looking at a case of quantity = quality in the school's eyes.

Trillium #72404 03/24/10 05:36 PM
    C
    C
    My biggest issue with spelling is that if they can get 100% on a pretest on Monday, then no matter how hard the words are they aren't learning anything new. This irks me, but I guess math and reading are bigger priorities for us...

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #72405 03/24/10 05:50 PM
    J
    J
    I've been wondering what kinds of words other kids have because I've not been impressed with DS9s words this year.

The 5th grade words for this week are: subtract, distract, contract, complex, distrust, extra, improve, instead, Congress, English, conflict, exchange, pumpkin, sandwich, Christmas, construction, luncheon, complaint, transform, and although.

I'm certain he had 'pumpkin' and 'sandwich' back in 1st grade... Maybe I have unrealistic expectations or something.

JDAx3 #72409 03/24/10 06:01 PM
    C
    C
    I've decided to start saving the spelling lists for the rest of the year to check on repeats. I hate to check up on the teachers but I've heard there may be problems with the 3rd grade teacher and differentiation... We are on spring break now, but should get a new list Monday...

Warning: sleep deprived
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JoAnna
    our school (private gifted) changed it's spelling program this year. they realized that many of the kids had a nearly photographic memory for spelling word....

It's neat to read this. We've noticed this attribute in our DD5, who's accelerated two years in spelling. She remembers words she learned months ago, can ace a tests after studying for ten minutes in the car,and is now complaining that second grade spelling is now too easy.

It's very, very cool that you found a school that recognizes this fact!

Val

Val #72415 03/24/10 07:27 PM
    W
    W
    Grade 3 list of the week: partner, hard, chart, farm, start, large, more, before, horse, north, morning, care, stare, warning. DD8's September in-school testing showed she was spelling at a Grade 6 level so we asked for harder words--her teacher said it "wouldn't be fair to the other children." Still trying to wrap my head around that one. A gifted IEP meeting with the principal, gifted teacher, and class teacher didn't produce any change, so...school-shopping again!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by westcoastmom
    her teacher said it "wouldn't be fair to the other children."
    Uggh! cry Good luck with the school shopping.

N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by westcoastmom
    DD8's September in-school testing showed she was spelling at a Grade 6 level so we asked for harder words--her teacher said it "wouldn't be fair to the other children."

I totally don't get that - what 8 year old would complain about another kid having harder spelling words ?? Good luck in your school search. Hearing other peoples stories makes me realise how lucky we've been - so far smile

F
    F
    so we asked for harder words--her teacher said it "wouldn't be fair to the other children."
    frown
    you could try advocating for some bonus words every week. Everyone has the option to learn them or not, so it would be "fair"

Some of our recent grade 3 2 words: graph laugh cough telephone photograph recruit pursuit rough

Last edited by Floridama; 04/01/10 05:11 AM. Reason: Oops........I meant grade 2 words
    M
    M
    Okay, I could cry now. DS9 is in 3rd grade and his spelling words for the last 2 weeks were : face, door, cut, done, group, red, true, half, fish, plants. No wonder he's spinning his wheels, and this is in a "gifted" cluster class!

We haven't done much about it because DS is such a good speller, but maybe by not asking for harder lists or bonus words (great idea btw), we are actually holding him back from learing more. Hmmmm. Seeing all the other's spelling words is eye opening.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM