Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
    M
    M
    Question - my son skipped a grade. So, he is a 5th by age and a 6th in school. Do I compare his score to the 5th graders in the talent search or the 6th graders?

I had sort of expected a 25 in math, but he only got a 24. However, he told me the day of the test that he missed one question. Maybe that was the difference.

Mary
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    I'm actually so impressed with 25 scores not because of knowledge required but because it's so unlikely (at least IME) that a young kid can focus well enough not to miss ANYTHING on a test with time pressure and advanced material.

I actually wrote almost this exact same thing a few pages back! Totally agree. Having that kind of accuracy and focus as a young kid is just amazing!

Maybe having a 3rd grader, who is working on 8th grade level math without breaking a sweat has warped me on the knowledge required end. We could definitely be doing more math wise, but I've let his accuracy, speed, and maturity catch up with his conceptual knowledge. And we haven't done the EXPLORE with him, but will next year. He doesn't strike me as the poised, focused test taking type at this point in life! wink

K
    K
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    Originally Posted by kimck
    And we haven't done the EXPLORE with him, but will next year. He doesn't strike me as the poised, focused test taking type at this point in life! wink

He might surprise you. I was very surprised by my 3rd grader who I credited with knowing 8th grade material but not for being able to show that on a test. I was wrong. whistle

He actually did surprise me on the SCAT a bit (had no problem being well above qualifying despite only using 1/2 his time and refusing to use scratch paper), so you might be right! Kind of makes we wish we would have at least tried out the EXPLORE this year. Glad to know other parents think this way too about their asynchronous kiddos. grin

kimck #72138 03/21/10 03:04 PM
    M
    M
    I emailed the principal about whether she wanted to see the scores, but gave no hint of how he did. (22 composite, 24 math, 23 science, 21 english and 19 reading). Also asked her insight on how to compare. She said 6th grade is the right comarison. Wonder how she will react to the 22 when she sees it.

I'm shipping a copy of his scores to the school tomorrow.

Deal is, Snoopy doesn't want to skip now. He finally feels like he is at home with these kids. This may be enough to convince the school and yet we will be saying no. What a warped situation.

Yes, the school is great. No, they don't make any special accomodations for him. Somehow this is just working.

For now..... And I have learned enough to enjoy it when things are working because they don't keep working for long....

Mary

P.S. For the math question he missed.... area of a triangle. He told me in the car he only missed one question, but they didn't give him enough information, wait it was a right triangle, oops, well he missed that one. I thought it was very cool that he figured out his own mistake. I'll bet it was the only math problem he missed.

He won't be as well prepared for the SAT next year. He is nearly finished with Algebra 1 on ALEKS, but lots of stuff he hasn't done on the SAT. Won't look nearly so good coming off of it.

Mary
    mayreeh #72267 03/23/10 06:39 AM
    O
    O
    We are new to Talent Search. Our DD9 has been identified to be Gifted in Math by her school and her Gifted teacher referred us to Explore. After the test, she was confident that she answered all questions, although she was not happy with science.

What should be our next step? We have never had her do any prep for these tests since we do not know how and what to prepare.

I do not think our school district offer to skip a grade but we would not go for it as she is already the youngest in her class.

Anyone know about a good summer program around Central Ohio and its vicinity?

Thanks

OhioDad #72276 03/23/10 07:44 AM
    C
    C
    OhioDad,

I do have one dd who has skipped a grade despite being one the youngest in her grade as well. Being younger isn't always a reason to rule it out. However, it is a very, very good idea to have a complete IQ score in the 98th percentile or above and to have the child be working multiple grade levels above her current grade in all academic subjects if you are going to consider a full grade skip. Another option would be seeing if she can be accelerated in math only -- commonly referred to as "subject acceleration."

We've never prepped our girls for Explore or SAT tests either. My understanding from talent search is that they don't encourage a lot of prep work although I know that some people do so.

Have you gotten her Explore results back yet? You may be able to use those to advocate for more challenge in math if she did as well as she thinks.

When your dd is a bit older, you may want to look into Math Path summer camps: http://www.mathpath.org/ They are held on a different college campus each year so they might have one close to you in a few years.

Cricket2 #72301 03/23/10 01:32 PM
    O
    O
    Cricket,

Thanks for your response.

She is already in accelerated program in Math. Our school only provides Math and Reading acceleration program.

She appeared for her Explore in Feb and I think we should wait for another 2-3 weeks for her result.

Our Church has a program for Math Olympiad. I have already talked to the organizer for next year. We are thinking of signing for NSF (North South Foundation) math quiz.

I am still looking for more advices.

Thanks

OhioDad #72303 03/23/10 01:47 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by OhioDad
    She is already in accelerated program in Math.
    Is that the accelerated program for her current grade? I was thinking more along the lines of sending her to the next grade level for math. My oldest, for instance, went to the 4th grade accelerated language arts class with 4th grade students when she was a 3rd grader. The accelerated class for the next grade up might be a better fit for your dd.

OhioDad #72306 03/23/10 03:09 PM
    C
    C
    There's the Atlas summer program at CSG for gifted learners. I have heard good things about it for years and the facilities and teachers are wonderful but dd won't be "old enough" until next year. I suspect its aimed more at "typically" gifted, rather than PG gifted. I thought about pushing to have dd go early, but have opted to wait until she can go with a friend.

We have had really good luck with the summer programs at Wellington in the past because they were so flexible...

Warning: sleep deprived
    Chrys #72653 03/27/10 03:49 PM
    F
    F
    Ok, so I'm new to all of this testing stuff. On the school's advice we had our son, 9 4th grade take the Explore test. Just got the scores today. Frankly, I don't know much about the scores so I Googled and found this site. So far, I'm learning a lot reading the posts. Scores were composite 21, Eng 20, Math 23, Reading 18, Science 23. He really enjoys Math and Science so I'm not surprised those scores are higher than reading. He is in the gifted program at school now. They seem pretty decent as compared with 8th grade levels. Are there other tests he should take?

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM