Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #72248 03/22/10 08:26 PM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    DS6 is in kindergarten, it hasn't been a good year at all, not just the gifted thing but that's part of it. Things like not enough differentiation, having to sit through learning letters when he could read at a third grade level, lots of things that added up. He seemed unhappy and I was so unhappy I was looking with other schools for next year and didn't expect to be back. However I decided to meet with a teacher for the next grade and I'm sure glad I did. In the span of half an hour I did a complete 180 and am looking forward to next year.

They don't have a formal gifted program, I chose the school because it's smaller and will differntiate and it seems they do, it just didn't happen in kindergarten. Math is scheduled at the same time grades 1-5 so it's easy to move a kid forward or backward as needed, he'll go to second grade next year for math. The reading program is leveled and pretty individualized and I think he can be challenged yet included in group activities which is important to him. Science is only 2x a week but it's for two hours at a time so they can get in depth, I think that's a great setup. She also says she finds handwriting kind of dull and forgets to have them practice like she should, I consider that a plus. Plus, they are starting a gifted program next year and she asked if I would meet with the committee to give my imput, I'm excited about this but thye may kick me out when they see my notes!

Last edited by Kareninminn; 03/22/10 08:27 PM.
    C
    C
    That's wonderful that the 1st grade teacher is very receptive!! yay for awesome teachers!!

Hmm... Now I'm wondering if I should check out 1st grade more at our school. DS5 is in K as well. He's getting hardly any differentiation (he gets challenge work but not always and only 1st grade lvl for the most part).

I just don't see how they could/would work with him next year based on what I've heard from them. He's currently reading somewhere 3rd-5th grade lvl (I need to ask them to reevaluate that) and doing math at a 2nd-3rd grade lvl. In class they are still working on basic sight words and the last few letters as well as counting up to 30.

We're waiting on a full eval (supposed to be completed by mid April) before deciding what we're doing next year. I guess I will see if I can't check out 1st grade a bit.

Last edited by CourtneyB; 03/22/10 08:53 PM.
    Hooray!! Good Luck, and I can't wait to hear how everything works out. I have high hopes about next year for my DS7...it is what is keeping me going these last couple months of the school year smile Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent