Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    Well, I have been filling this out and being very conservative. For example, giving the school "0", using FSIQ instead of GAI, etc. and I still come up with 51 -good candidate.
    I hope the explore results are good. But I can definately see where there is alot of subjectivity. The school administration has refused a skip before due to "social". She does not lack interpersonal skills but tells the pychologist that she has nothing in common with her same age classmates and that she is tired of comming down to their level if she wants to interact or play. She prefers older kids. The school thinks because she doesn't have a "best friend" in her class that she lacks social skills. Hmmm. Luckily the teacher is really pushing for the skip.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    Well, I have been filling this out and being very conservative. For example, giving the school "0", using FSIQ instead of GAI, etc. and I still come up with 51 -good candidate.
    The first time we entertained a grade skip ourselves was when dd#1 was in 3rd grade and we had the same "0" for the school support. Dd still came out about two points below excellent candidate. The school still said "no," b/c, in the principal's personal opinion grade skips were disasterous. The next year, at a different school, it was suggested to us by the middle school and she did skip with good results. Having the school administration opposed to the skip is a hard piece even if the teachers are in support, unfortunately.

G
    G
    [quote=Cricket2 Having the school administration opposed to the skip is a hard piece even if the teachers are in support, unfortunately. [/quote]

Well, I am hopeful because the psychologist that the school recommended me take her too is also pushing for this and he is the one that suggested doing the IAS and then meeting with the school. However, in the meantime, her current teacher, who is the most experienced at the school with 40+ years of which 15 were in an inclusive gifted classroom, has already gone to administration and recommended a skip. Admin called me last week requesting a meeting to discuss options for next year. Hopefully this is a good sign. I stalled a little telling them I had a few things to gather that I want to bring to the meeting. Hopefully, the explore results will come soon so we can finish and take the IAS.
    Thanks.

C
    C
    That does sound better than the situation we were in when dd was a 3rd grader. We did have her teacher, the 4th grade teacher whose class she was in for literacy, and a psychologist in support of the skip, but the administration was not only against it, they were completely unwilling to discuss it. The psych was also of our choosing, not someone they recommended we bring her to.

Good luck!

B
    B
    I ordered the 3rd edition thu am@zon and literally got in a a matter of days. I presented it to the school because I was prepared for the whole "we've never done this, socially.....blah blah blah" but to my surprise, the borroed the manual, bought several more copies to pass around to other faculty and then I gavge them the link to order the forms (thru the publisher) and we are on our way to moving fwd! They were not familiar with the book until I showed it to them though and really liked that it was all research backed. We actually got an answer before we went through the whole form because we had been so prepared and presented the information we had researched and the book just really help lay the ground work for people for the future as they are now putting the "process" together of what needs to be done. So... all our hard work will help others in the future (though we are the guinea pigs smile.)

B
    B
    HOLY TYPO CITY! SORRY! I was trying to multi task and it didn't help smile

We used this to successfully skip our son from 1st to 2nd mid year, and our DD DYS from 4th to 6th full year. In both cases the school purchased the IAS and did all the administration of it. We attended the follow on meetings to discuss it. We'd never heard of it before the school brought it up and we were the very first two children in the district to use it.

Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    Does anyone have any issues with the motivation/attitude towards learning sections? I would think that one of the reasons for acceleration is that the current level of academics is not challenging enough to promote motivation etc. yet this will dramatically reduce the points allotted.

Just a thought...
    It seems to me that a kid could lose 7 points in the motivation section. If the child has a very high IQ, then they could afford to lose those points easily. If the child is more optimally gifted (WAS moderately gifted) and they might really need those 7 points, then they have less of an excuse for having such a very bad attitude. (That's why we're calling it optimally gifted, yes?)

Does this seem reasonable?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    My son was accelerated using the scale (his elementary school used it to assess him). The thing the school wasn't certain on was the outside participation. Luckily, his kindergarten teacher at the time knew him from the baseball field as well. smile

M
    M
    Hello everyone -

I had to remove the links to the IAS article in this thread, as we were informed that it was in violation of copyright infringement (not at fault of anyone on this board, it was in the public domain). The school board that linked it likely will have to take it down. Anyway, as linked in the first post on this thread, it is available here: http://www.giftedbooks.com/productdetails.asp?id=92.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM