Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    Gatorgirl -
    This is what I thought. So she missed it by 1%.

So close! If your DD skips to 7th next year, she can take the SAT/ACT and try for the awards for the 7th grade talent search. If she doesn't skip, she could take Explore again...

twomoose #71934 03/19/10 12:13 PM
    G
    G
    The 7th grade talent search gives awards at the 90% for national awards and 50% for state awards.
    And you only have to get that in one area. It doesn't have to be the composite.

Last edited by Gatorgirl; 03/19/10 12:17 PM.
    C
    C
    WATS awards depend on the pool from year to year so we still don't know if dd11 got in on her 7th grade SAT scores this year. If she is in the top 25% of the 7th grade pool from WATS she will, but it will be a few more weeks until we get the email if so.

It would be nice if the awards were based on the same thing from one talent search to another. Some seem to set the bar low enough that my kids would certainly qualify every year even if they didn't have their best day. Others are so high that it seems like DYS kids would be the only ones who qualify.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by hannahsmom1998
    I still believe that it is because she has not been exposed to anything other than 6th grade Math and that is so ridiculously easy.

This is the same reason for my dd's lower math score. It's not that she couldn't do the higher work but she hasn't been exposed to the higher work.

Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    Originally Posted by hannahsmom1998
    I still believe that it is because she has not been exposed to anything other than 6th grade Math and that is so ridiculously easy.

This is the same reason for my dd's lower math score. It's not that she couldn't do the higher work but she hasn't been exposed to the higher work.

Hehe, I'm tempted to blame GS10's drop in his math score on another year of Math Investigations!

S
    S
    Hello,
    We are new to testing and talent search. We took the explore test in January so that we could attend the C-Mites Summer camps.
    We received the results and inspite of all the data I don't know how to interpret the scores. Are they good enough to approach the school to have him tested for the gifted program. We have just moved to a big public school district from a small private school that did not test of offer any special services.

My son is in 4th grade and these were his scores
    Composite 16
    English 16 (usage 9, Rhetorical skill 7)
    Mathematics 16
    Reading 14
    Science 16

Any advice?
    Thanks.

sarn #72017 03/20/10 09:30 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by sarn
    Hello,
    We are new to testing and talent search. We took the explore test in January so that we could attend the C-Mites Summer camps.
    We received the results and inspite of all the data I don't know how to interpret the scores. Are they good enough to approach the school to have him tested for the gifted program. We have just moved to a big public school district from a small private school that did not test of offer any special services.

My son is in 4th grade and these were his scores
    Composite 16
    English 16 (usage 9, Rhetorical skill 7)
    Mathematics 16
    Reading 14
    Science 16

Any advice?
    Thanks.
    Those scores seem particularly strong in mathematics for a 4th grader. While talent search kids often do better than the avg 8th grader in english, reading, and science, they often do not do better than the avg 8th grader in math due to lack of exposure. I believe that the 16 he got in math should be above the 50th percentile for an 8th grader in math. I would certainly approach the school and see what they can do in terms of further testing to identify him for whatever GT programming they offer.

Cricket2 #72018 03/20/10 09:36 AM
    S
    S
    Thanks gratified and cricket. I am going to approach the school and see what they say.

sarn #72069 03/20/10 05:19 PM
    G
    G
    16 in Math is at the 64%. Very good for a 4th grader.

Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    WOW!!!! My mailman knew I was waiting for this so he saw it and made a special trip at the beginning of his delivery.
    All I can say is WOW!!!!
    Composite 22
    English 25
    Math 17
    Reading 25
    Science 21

Do you think this will help with a grade skip?? I am so excited. I knew the math would be lower but 2 25's??? WOW!!!

Those are awesome and almost identical to the scores my DD got in 4th grade. They were very useful in her skip over 5th grade to 6th grade.

Congrats!

Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs