Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mom2LA #7294 01/15/08 10:13 AM
    Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    The only up-side to this is that, with her new subject accel, she might get something new in the math review.

Love that philsophy! I'll have to remember that.

Mom2LA -- I'd speak to the teacher. But before you do, I'd try to figure out *what* you'd like to see happen, at least a general idea. That way, you'll have a concrete solution to present to the teacher, whether that's acceleration or enrichment or whatever else. That, I think, was our mistake when we first approached ds's school; we didn't solidly make a request, but went in a bit wishy-washy.

We don't get "bored" comments from ds, but he does say he wished he had higher-level work -- he's said that he thinks he should be in third grade! I'm very concerned that he's going to learn how to slack supreme, just like I did, because we have very similar personalities.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited by Mia; 01/15/08 10:13 AM.

Mia
    Mia #7314 01/15/08 03:23 PM
    Our classroom teacher heard the "b" word, even though I NEVER said it. How's that for a judo move to catch you off-guard?!

I think DS6 was so obviously bored that she was already feeling guilty and out-of-her-depth before I said a word. When I asked for her to send home chapter books instead of Level 1 easy readers, she flipped out on me (via e-mail) and gave me the "boredom is no excuse" speech, even though I had never said he was bored.

It was a difficult exchange...

Reasons we're home schooling...

Kriston
    LMom #7366 01/16/08 11:05 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm worried about dd. She did not want to go to school again today. I had talked to my Mom this morning and she was telling me that dd told her that she didn't want to go to school (last night on the phone). When Mom asked her why dd replied that "We don't do anything new. We just do the same work and I'm done before everyone and I have to just wait until everyone else is done. It's so boring. I want to do new stuff." Well this is even more detailed than dd had told me. So, I left a message for dd's teacher. I plan on meeting with her as soon as we can.

I hate that dd feels this way about school all of the sudden. She used to love it and to see her so uninterested bothers me. It's just so not like her. Luckily she has a very good teacher who told me months ago "If dd ever seems bored, and I dont notice it first, please tell me." So I feel comfortable in speaking directly with her but I will try to use the word "unhappy" more often than the word "bored"....although I know it will come up.

I'll keep you posted. frown

Mom2LA #7422 01/17/08 01:33 PM
    Good Luck Mom2LA,
    Strongest in her Gifted Class is really saying something. How are thinks going in the 'friendship department?' I'm wondering if getting her enrichment inside class will reduce the symptoms without getting to the root of the problem....KWIM? Still, much better than nothing!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #7427 01/17/08 02:27 PM
    K
    K
    Mom2LA - I'm glad the teacher is so receptive anyway. That's very encouraging. Let us know how it goes!

And Mia - I totally know about slacking supreme! There is a little girl in my son's first grade class who is also GT. She's probably not as off the top end as DS, but she is so much more self motivated. And because of that, I really think the classroom is an fairly good fit for her. He mom also seems relatively happy with it. There is something to be said for self motivation!

#7459 01/18/08 05:54 AM
    Fortunately, they aren't reviewing every day and the teachers are coordinating the review days between grades.

I wish she didn't have to go back at all, but this level of cooperation is really wonderful! And rare, sadly! So go school!

I would see if you can make a quick phone call to see if you can get this adjusted. Again - focus on the emotional reaction you daughter is having. I'm sure they are not intuiting her reaction and thinking 'tough tootsies!' - they probably never met or imagined a kid who gets this worked up over readiness level. It's hard to imagine that what seems so obvious to us is so mysterious to others. And yes, this is normal behavior amoung our kids.

As for Math: "One plus One equals Two. True or False? Explain how you got your answer." This type of question boggled me, so I went on the website and called up the developers. Here's what I figured out -

There are a few common ways of BSing one's way through the question. Such as -
    I used a number line. Started a one, moved one step to the Right. Saw that my finger was at "2"
    I used a chart. I moved my finger across the row marked "1" until I got to the column marked "1", and saw that I was in the box marked 2.
    I used tokens. I moved 1 to the answer pile, then I moved another 1 token to the answer pile. Then I counted up all the numbers in the answe pile.
    I counted on my fingers. I raised one (can you guess which one?) for the first one, and then I raise the my pinky to represent the second one. Then I counted my fingers to get two.
    I think that there is also a fancy way of saying that I have memorised certian Math facts, and used my memorization knowledge.

Problem for our kids is that this very interesting approach to Math occurs naturally to them right around the age that they are learning to talk. But I do applaud the spirit of trying to do 'more than just memorize' math facts. And I protest the mentality that suggests that this is appropriate for children who have already gotten the connection between numbers and what they represent.

((shrugs))
    Good Luck,
    Grimity

Grinity #7482 01/18/08 08:44 AM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I counted on my fingers. I raised one (can you guess which one?) for the first one, and then I raise the my pinky to represent the second one. Then I counted my fingers to get two.

Hi Grinity.
    laugh laugh grin shocked laugh laugh
    Thanks for the giggle!!!

Last edited by acs; 01/18/08 08:46 AM. Reason: added faces
    #8174 02/01/08 01:10 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    ( sick )

That's the "sick" smiley, although I'd prefer one that's actually spewing!
    Yechho, not me! grin

On the "dreaded January review", I gotta say - DD's school is suddenly into the dreaded state exam review. I think exams are in March....

The only up-side to this is that, with her new subject accel, she might get something new in the math review.

Hi Kcab,
    It's February! Is DD back in her math class?
    Grinty

#8187 02/01/08 07:28 PM
    There's a coninsidence!
    ((twilight zone song))
    Too bad about the 6th grade homework, is it the last year before Algebra? I've heard that that year can be very MOTSish. ((MOTS, More of the Same))

Good news is that they are keeping track of her well enough to pop her back into 6th part time, and that you are having a very good GAP check. We actually had trouble with too much of a good thing in the GAP department.

Early March?
    Grinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs